Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Topsy Turvy tomatoes, strawberries, peppers!
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: April 20, 2010 12:10AM

I was at Walgreen's and the box says that for 10 bucks you can get a yield of 30 lbs., and that you can use organic seeds. Has anyone ever done this method and was the yield what it claimed to be? Also, do you hang them on a porch or what? It would be a good deal: if I bought some organic seeds, I could get the tomatoes (fresh, utterly delicious ones) for .40 a pound! Let's do the math: the organic tomatoes from my local farmer's market cost...oh...about 2.50-$3 a pound!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Topsy Turvy tomatoes, strawberries, peppers!
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 20, 2010 11:23AM

Fruited vegetables with vine-like growing qualities can all be hung but sometimes one must support the fruits: tomatoes, strawberries, cukes, melons...

Posted by: frances ()
Date: May 06, 2010 04:38PM

I've been pondering hanging some vegetables from tree branches. It would be neat if I could put them out of the reach of deer and other garden pests and avoid hassle and look excessive fencing. I'd have to balance them so I can lower them down for tending and harvesting, etc...

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: May 08, 2010 11:50AM

frances Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've been pondering hanging some vegetables from
> tree branches. It would be neat if I could put
> them out of the reach of deer and other garden
> pests and avoid hassle and look excessive fencing.
> I'd have to balance them so I can lower them down
> for tending and harvesting, etc...

That is a novel idea, although would they get enough sun? I believe the leaves would shade the plants too much. I have four "home built" topsy turvy tomato plants growing right now.

I purchased organic plants from my local health food market, they range from 6" to 12". I used 1 gal. buckets & angle bracket plant hangers, mounted on the south/east facing side of our deck. If I get time, I want to set up a few pepper plants as well.

I'll try to get some pics posted when I get a chance. I know what you mean about the deer getting to the garden; where I live we are overrun with deer and they do eat up just about everything we plant in the ground.

I tried 6' high fencing & they jump it like it isn't even there.

Posted by: hiddenfang ()
Date: May 13, 2010 02:08AM

If you need a cheap, organic way to keep deer out of your garden, go no further than your local barbershop! Deer hate the smell of human hair, so if you use hair like you would use mulch the deer will take a sniff and run away. This has worked for us for years. Also, be sure to reapply after rain or strong wind.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: May 15, 2010 04:59PM

yeah, that hair trick worked great for me when i lived where I could have a garden! only problem is that its illegal in many states for barbers to give people any hair other than their own...it is in california, so I just had to ask my friend to have theirs saved when they got their hair cut...

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: May 16, 2010 04:54AM

i use hair and pee an no problems smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: May 16, 2010 01:42PM

oh, also, really sweaty dirty clothes will also work, like have a guy you know who sweats allot, wear the same ratty throw away shirt for like 3 days while working out, or just working hard, then put that out there, similar effect,lol...and doesnt blow away!

Date: May 24, 2010 02:34AM

We did this many years ago using gallon milk jugs. We used Jute cord with some knots to hold the jugs and then put them on sheppards staffs or hooks. The area of the country we lived in at the time was very arid so we had to water them daily. Cherry tomatoes worked well as the fruit and vines don't get that heavy. I trimmed the extra leaves etc. and that also helped. I think the peppers and strawberries would work better because of the size of the plant. Remember strawberry pots? My mom grew strawberries in them for years - what she didn't grow in the garden. She enjoyed having them on the patio.

Posted by: RAWLION ()
Date: May 29, 2010 04:15PM

tomatoes need super full sun to get your yield. also, no need to buy the topsy turvy if you don't want. I have two of em, they work great. but you can use a normal pot hung up and just let the tomato vine hang over the side just the same. or cut a hole in the bottom and do it like they do.

The Raw Lion 440 pounds to 225 pounds!

Date: November 09, 2010 09:56PM

My neighbor used to take her potted tomato plants and put them on her back deck so she could use the railing as a support system. It may have looked funny but she had great tomatoes every year.

[www.BarleyDistributor.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables