Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Lowest maintence sprouting system?
Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: May 01, 2010 12:59AM

I have used the sprouting jars for years with the sieve lids. They work well, but take up space & rinsing them daily takes time as well. Not that I'm really complaining about that, but is there a more economical method to use?

I was looking at the multi- Tray stackable sprout gardens. Seems like a good way to go...I was wondering if you can wash away the hulls from the sprouts with that type like you are able to do with the jars, since you can't tilt/shake them like the jars?

What methods do you guys use?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lowest maintence sprouting system?
Posted by: frances ()
Date: May 06, 2010 04:42PM

The EasyGreen sprouter is an investment, but it operates automatically. I find that the reservoir holds enough water for about two days, so I can even leave for the weekend. If you connect it to your household water and make sure it has a good drain then it could theoretically grow your sprouts from seed to salad without interference.

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: May 08, 2010 12:47AM

The EasyGreen looks very nice. I have been doing some research, trying to get different ideas. I believe I will build my own, a self misting tray system possibly. I will post pics when I do it.

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: May 16, 2010 02:03AM

JK,

I like Easy Sprouter. Rinsing takes less time than a conventional jar because their is drainage at the bottom of the inner vessel. Best.

Paul

[www.sproutpeople.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2010 02:05AM by pborst.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: May 16, 2010 04:47AM

you might want to start looking at commercial sprouting equipment and see if you cant somehow duplicate it on a smaller scale

i find the home sprout kits just dont keep up to my sprout demand so the interest comes and goes for me smiling smiley

[www.sproutnet.com]
[www.greensmoothie.com]
[www.sproutequipments.com]

just the above for some ideas smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: May 16, 2010 02:14PM

wow, those are some cool sites for getting ideas off of, the second one seems to show the easiest from what I can see to build at home, plus it would be extremely cheap and easy to build yourself, their sprouting systems seem really similar to what im planning on building when I get a new job...

I almost forgot, take a page from the hydroponics system of marijuana growers, good drainage, get a $20 water timing system that allows you to basically leave the water on, and once a day, or in better models, multiple times a day it turns on the misters automatically for a predetermined amount of time, then in the bottom have good drainage that takes excess water out and puts it either down the drain, or if you want you can use a small pond or fountain pump to move the water to an outside reservoir to use in your garden if you dont want to wast it... Ive seen pot farmers build this system for under a hundred bucks...and some go all out and pay up to a thousand, dang could you grow allot of sprouts with that level of a system,lol...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2010 02:18PM by Curator.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables