Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

SAVING SEED
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 18, 2010 10:55AM

I have been studying saving seed now for about 3 years. Some plants can cross with others in the same family. I learned the hard way that tat soi and wild mustard can mix. It was ok, just a spicy, hairy tat soi. Also carrot and wild carrot (queen anne's lace). So I have learned to isolate when necessary. Having fun learning!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: SAVING SEED
Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: May 18, 2010 08:23PM

Post some info. on it for us? I have been wanting to do this, but I must admit I have been neglecting learning how to save seeds. Drying plants/leaves is another area that I want to get into.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: May 20, 2010 01:44AM

one important thing to do if your growing something and want the seed to stay true and are afraid of it mixing with something else, at least with flowers, as soon as the flower would open enough to make it possible, id pollinate the flower manually, then cover it in a re-usable muslin tea bag so no bees or whatever can get in to get more pollen in to it... with flowers you do that to you can know for sure their seed will always be true...

when harvesting and processing seed it depends entirely on the variety of seed, for me, with vegetables back when I was able to have a garden, I would take them out, clean them, and dry them... with plants that produce large amounts of tiny seeds, the muslin tea bag trick can help again, collecting seeds that would otherwise get blown away when the seeds are ready, when drying out seeds for plants like poppies, I would cut the heads off near the end of the season, but be4 it starts to get wet outside, and hang them up in a cool dark dry place, when the pods where completely dry id break them open and get the seeds out! yummy source of great nutrients...*sigh*...I miss having a garden... oh, and as far as storing seeds go, for most types of seeds, some place cool, dry, dark, and in an airtight container is normally best... if seeds arent dry enough yet, a small packet of rice helps... (I used a muslin tea bag with abit of rice in it.) damp seeds will rot! hope this was helpful

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 20, 2010 09:33AM

Just a little for now for I am in a remote part of northern Canada for the summer, yes growing gardens. I am trying to adapt organic seed to a coastal Newfoundland climate. The best book that I have found on seed saving is 'Seed to Seed' by Suzanne Ashworth. Another excellent book about plants in general is 'The Secret Life of Plants' by Peter Tomkins. And have you heard about the Gardens at Findhorn, Scotland?

The easiest seeds to save are from peppers. Tomatoes need to go through a fermentation process, which is not too difficult. Both of these are self pollinating and therefore one only needs about 10 plants to get genetic diversity. Other seeds need about 100 plants to get diversity.

Climate is an important factor if plants will go to seed, the season needs to be long enough. Some plants seed as annuals, others are biennials (the brassicas: kale, broccoli, cabbage, nappa, boc choi). Onions are also biennial. This year I am starting onions from seed to get sets to grow next year to save seed from. Carrots, parsley, celery are also biennials.

Lettuce is an annual, one just needs a long enough season and drier climate so the seeds can cure properly.

This really is a large subject. I say start with peppers and tomatoes if you have no experience and get a good book and try. Have fun. Sorry I can not get into it any deeper at this time.

On another note, drying herbs is easy. I harvest, depending on the herb, just before flowering, and hang to dry on a line with string in my kitchen. My friend hangs hers in bunches. Then I just pull off what I want for seasoning.

Happy gardening.

Posted by: brome ()
Date: May 22, 2010 06:36PM

Here's a good source of information and seeds, the Seed Savers Exchange:

[www.seedsavers.org]

Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: June 03, 2010 03:29AM

To learn the basics of seed saving there is nothing easier to understand or better than the booklet written by the founder of Johnny's Selected Seeds, Rob Johnston Jr.

[www.johnnyseeds.com]

In any case I really agree with you that this is a large subject but unless one is going into commercial seed growing, I wouldn't lose sleep over the inability to understand it all.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables