Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Any herbs which don't require much sunlight?
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: May 22, 2010 01:13AM

The side of the house has a patch of land where I could grow a few herbs but it's very shaded. I saw that peppermint doesn't require full sun. I wonder if I could still get away with growing things in this area...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Any herbs which don't require much sunlight?
Posted by: Trive ()
Date: May 22, 2010 01:30AM

I've grown lots of different mints in shady areas. They PREFER shade. And they like it damp.

Oregano, thyme and parsley can do alright in part shade.

My favorite raw vegan

Date: May 22, 2010 02:00AM

@Trive: Thanks for responding so soon! I really need to get on this. How about almost all shade, though? I would love to grow some organic parsley and oregano, along with some mint. But this shade is pretty...shady, LOL.

Date: May 22, 2010 06:01AM

Hmmm.... does anything grow there now, like any grass? If so, parsley and oregano would too, I think. If there's no grass or weeds and and no dappled light, it doesn't sound like a good site. Maybe try one of each plant and see what happens?

My favorite raw vegan

Date: May 22, 2010 04:15PM

There is a bit of "dappled light" (sound so poetic!). I just know that it gets pretty dark, but the light manages to filter through a bit. I think I'll try it anyway. I know that mint is a perrenial and once I plant it, I'll never have to again! Yeah, there are very deep green plants close to the ground. That's why I put in a request to my library for the foraging book so I can identify what these are. They survived the harsh winter and even remained green in the snow! I think some of it's ivy that is growing close to the ground but the other looks like spearmint leaves only larger. I bit into one and it seemed edible but I was afraid...don't want to take any risks until i know what I am doing. I wish I had a digital camera, though, because I suspect that one of you would know what I am dealing with. I'll let you know what happens.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: May 23, 2010 12:40AM

Ive got a similar space, but its full shade all of the time, with very little growing there but a few weeds, no grass... its about 3x6 ft, If mint could grow there, that would be cool... mint and spruce tip tea is yummy ^_^ and really high in vitamin C!!!

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: May 24, 2010 03:38PM

fiddle heads like it shady, as do mushrooms, also as trive said most herbs, i have a couple of huckleberry bushes on a shady side of the house they like it shady and huckleberries are good eating

if you have green stuff grwing you have enough light, rainforests are notoriously dark damp an shady an look how they thrive ! smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: May 24, 2010 07:18PM

Jgunn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> fiddle heads like it shady, as do mushrooms, also
> as trive said most herbs, i have a couple of
> huckleberry bushes on a shady side of the house
> they like it shady and huckleberries are good
> eating
>
> if you have green stuff grwing you have enough
> light, rainforests are notoriously dark damp an
> shady an look how they thrive ! smiling smiley

Hey, that's right. I bought some cilantro yesterday and noticed that the bunch had the roots intact and I think I may start with some of that. I don't know how it will work but I'll try anyway.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: May 25, 2010 03:52AM

well, I already know rosemary doesnt like it shady -_- LOL...I wishI had more sun though, so I could grow some flowers and veggies too...

Date: May 25, 2010 11:09PM

I just stuck some cilantro in this area and I'll let everyone know how it went. It kind of toppled over, LOL, so we will see...

Date: May 26, 2010 04:23AM

you could also try a nice little bamboo grove in the shady spot, and the shoots are tasty on many variaties smiling smiley

Date: May 26, 2010 05:19AM

Bamboo makes a beautiful screen, but be warned: It spreads by sending long runners underground. I had a lovely stand at one house. My neighbor didn't like it popping up in her yard. sad smiley

I used to have difficulty growing basil in the sun. The tender leaves dries out too quickly. Maybe it would do well in a shady spot?

My favorite raw vegan

Date: May 26, 2010 02:16PM

yep some bamboo are runners and some are clumpers, im gonna go check out this place its only about an hours drive from here , very cool

i soooooooo want to plant a giant bamboo..110ft !! grinning smiley

[www.bambooworld.com]

Date: May 27, 2010 02:36AM

@Jgunn: Whoa...are bamboo shoots from Chinese Foods the same as the bamboo tree? I would kind of be afraid of planting some because I hear they go crazy and overgrow everything around it. I "discreetly" planted my doubled over cilantro because I don't own the property and had asked the owner about starting a vedge garden and he wants to landscape back there. So I picked the side of the house because it's just wild there.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables