Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

gardeners are interesting people
Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: August 09, 2010 11:44PM

and very smart too

and care about details

and nurture things

and make things grow

gardeners are the stars of this planet

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: gardeners are interesting people
Posted by: Curator ()
Date: August 10, 2010 12:01AM

^_^ oh, you make me blushtongue sticking out smiley,lol... gardening is pretty amazing though... its done wonders for me lately being able to work in my neighbors garden since I cant have one...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: August 10, 2010 01:33AM

Well...if you believe the Bible (which I do)

Gardeners were the first humans on this planet, and that was the first job/profession, contrary to what is always mentioned as the "oldest profession"...

Genesis 2:15 - "And the LORD God took the man, and put him into the garden of Eden to dress it and to keep it."

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: August 10, 2010 07:02PM

Can anyone tell me abit about growing i cant remember who posted on here the other day about kelp being used to feed plants/fruits/veg etc.

Which makes it even odder why those dont like seaweeds.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 10, 2010 07:09PM

My friend is an ER doc who so admires people who do "real work" as he calls farmers, builders, makers of useful things, that he's started his own farm! I don't know where this guy gets the energy, he's a powerhouse!

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: August 10, 2010 08:32PM

I heard that certain old forests in the world were actually extremely large and well planned gardens.

Date: August 10, 2010 10:18PM

I did the other day, kelp mulch is awesome for your garden...in my opinion some of the best stuff you can get... my garden in the past never did better than when I used kelp mulch, its just really dang expensive to buy, better if you can make it yourself...

powerlifer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Can anyone tell me abit about growing i cant
> remember who posted on here the other day about
> kelp being used to feed plants/fruits/veg etc.
>
> Which makes it even odder why those dont like
> seaweeds.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: August 10, 2010 11:12PM

My ex spends some time in Brasil, he and his chef buddy planted a garden there one time and dragged all sorts of greenery out of the ocean to mulch up their soil first. Good results I am told.

Posted by: veghunter ()
Date: August 11, 2010 12:25AM

Yes, my grandparents lived on a lake in New England. We used to rake out the excess seaweed and place it on top of the soil like mulch. It worked great at trapping moisture in the soil as well as fertilizing the plants.

Posted by: rab ()
Date: August 11, 2010 04:28AM

I am fascinated with "guerrilla gardening" and also with these stories about whole forests being actually cultivated.

I am ready for all that, just have to make a good mosquito repellent smiling smiley

Date: August 11, 2010 05:01AM

BE[/] the repellent! Eat loads of garlic and/or rub it on your skin/clothes.

Date: August 11, 2010 08:57AM

hey rab

u may repel more than just mosquitoes if you rub garlic all over yourself and eat loads of raw garlic

but who cares

you will know your TRUE friends then grinning smiley

Date: August 11, 2010 08:59AM

that's cool about the kelp
that makes sense
cuz of all the minerals
makes food flavorful too

minerals in soil is in direct proportion to flavor of food

plus strength of plant

so also i imagine that the stronger the plant
the more they are able to withstand or even repel pathogenic attack

is this right?
or am i just imagining

kinda like people
stronger immune system

is a good thing to stay healthy and fight off the bad guys ( whatever they R)

Date: August 11, 2010 09:00AM

juicerkatz

my my

is THAT right LOLsmiling smiley

Date: August 12, 2010 01:52AM

la_veronique, I don't care, I may try that - but just on my skin. I don't like eating garlic that much any more. Aren't there any other repellents, that don't repel people as well?

Date: August 12, 2010 03:03AM

People report success carrying a sheet of bounce fabric softener in their pocket or rubbing that on clothes, etc. Personally that's pretty repellant to me though, that smell, ugh! Overwhelming.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: August 12, 2010 08:18AM

citronella oil or bog myrtle oil both help to repell insects.

La V - you are quite correct in assuming that a stronger plant will withstand attacks from all quarters better. Growing plants organically means that they grow a bit slower but a lot stonger. If you can imagine a plant hot housed and fed on loads of fertilizer what will it do? It will grow very, very fast with a soft, pappy stem and leaf that is very easy for insects, virus's etc to attack. So then of course there needs to be a lot of spraying to kill these things off.

Plants grown in a natural environment will grow more slowly but hopefully withstand attacks better. Of course they still fall prey to bugs etc and this is where good husbandry comes in - crop rotation, companion planting, mulching, feeding the soil with composts, seaweeds, rotted muck, weeding and tending to plants - including picking off caterpillars by hand etc etc.

Date: August 12, 2010 06:28PM

yeah and that's what i mean

gardeners are daaaaaang SMART

to know how to do all those things

then they actually DO them

amazing
AMAAAAZING

amaaaaaaazinggggg

breed of people

i MEAN IT!!!

Date: September 15, 2010 10:37PM

So, basically, we are all rushing through our lives, while the answers have always been growing right in front of our noses, and we were so stupid not to see them.
So many "smart" people, like myself, never understood this simple truth,

Well, better late then never - I have my three tomatoe plants (black cherry) growing, a little late in the season but they still have some good looking tomatoes, That is the first time in my life that I have grown something from the seeds.

I have also planted mulberry seed from a tree which had fruit from June to September, beautiful sweet mulberries that saved me while my wife was in a hospital and the fruit everywhere around was too expensive. I have already planted some everywhere around in the area where I live, but I am going to make sure that at least one tree I keep for myself (some seeds are growing very nice), I have read that some people even grow mulberries indoors.

I have promissed myself, as long as I live, I will plant mulberries everywhere, So, watch out if you see me in the neighbourhood smiling smiley

Date: September 28, 2010 06:56AM

Rabby Mulberry Seed? hehesmiling smiley sounds awesome to mesmiling smiley...well, the idea...not the comparison to Johnny appleseed...

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables