Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Beginner advice to sprouting sought
Posted by: Punkrotten ()
Date: August 13, 2010 07:07PM

Hi guys,

So I am a beginner to sprouting. I've already done some almonds, and now I am sprouting some garbanzos, pumpkin, sunflower and barley for a few recipes. According to my recipe, the barely needs 3 days to soak. Its called pearl barely. The garbanzos I have no idea how long to soak, the recipe doesn't tell me. What I do is, I get a bowl for each and fill it up with clean water. After each night I drain and rinse then refill. Sometimes during the day I drain and rinse too.

But so far I have only done this for almonds. Am I doing things right? What are some tips that could make it better? What things do I gotta watch out for? I know sprouts and seeds could rot, how would I know? Anyone know how long it takes for these to sprout? Is there a site out there I could look at that will give me germination times?

Also, if you could recommend a kit or equipment for sprouting and seeds,nuts,grains that are good for beginners, let me know.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Beginner advice to sprouting sought
Date: August 13, 2010 08:37PM

I found this link that shows sprouting times for nuts, seeds, beans, grains etc. Are these fairly accurate?

[www.veggiewave.com]

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: August 13, 2010 09:22PM

I personally have had great success using a jar with a mesh screen. You can find them in Whole Foods and they're called "sprouting jars." Only about $4. Do you own any natural foods books? Most have sprouting charts. I think all beans are soaked overnight only. I am thinking that the barley info is wrong. I cannot imagine soaking any grain for 72 hours. Oh, just go online for sprouting info! (Duh! I am sometimes forgetting that we are in the Internets age...) I am not crazy about the taste of sprouted garbanzos. They are very hard (take forever to cook) and the sprouted version seemed too hard to me. What I really liked was French lentil sprouts. I have some adzuki beans that I have not sprouted yet. I will bet they are very tasty. The small beans are good for sprouting...

Date: August 13, 2010 10:19PM

Thanks for the info. I think I will grab a few jars. It seems really easy and cheap to do it that way. The only problem now is knowing the sprout times. But I guess I can look online. Yeah I think that recipe meant a total of 3 days for the barely to be ready.

Date: August 14, 2010 04:52PM

I would say that it is five days altogether for alfalfa and clover. I can't recall with the beans, though. Make sure to check bulk bins for your sprouting supplies first. I have seen them group sprouting jars with seeds and they charge ridiculous amounts for small quantities and they are same things you can buy in the bins. I saw it with black beans and mung beans, for example.

Date: August 14, 2010 05:55PM

I was looking at sproutpeople.com and see some sprouters. Im wondering if the "easy sprouter" is worth it compared to just a regular jar. Because I want to sprout alot of things, not just beans or nuts. I wanna do grains, even grains that are small like quinoa. And I am not sure if you can do those in jars.

I been using bowls to sprout things. I got sunflower seeds and chickpeas to sprout. My barely hasnt sprouted yet, but I hear pearl barely (the kind I got) wont sprout.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: August 16, 2010 11:27AM

Ive been sprouting in gladware... I took two that fit into eachother, and with a needle clenched between pliers, I poked a ton of little holes ( I had allot of spare time,lol) into one of them, then in the other I placed a few small rocks I had boiled to sterilize in the bottom, and placed the one with holes in the bottom and sides on top, placed in my quinoa, rinsed, put lid on and drained most of the excess, to the point where no water was actually touching the underside of the one with the holes in it, and just did that once I day, and I have success with that...I guess I should probably do it twice a day and see if it helps any...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: August 24, 2010 04:19PM

My experience with sprouting mung,lentil and peas is that they all sprout at the same rate,and I have found the initial soak time is not critical.

Just put them all in the jar,soak,rinse,and have fun.

Vinny

Posted by: merry ()
Date: December 10, 2010 12:53PM

I sprouted fenugreek seeds for the first time the other day. I really liked the taste - like a curry taste - only a small amount is needed to make a really different taste to a salad. i doubt everyone would like the taste but my husband and I did!!

Date: December 11, 2010 08:49PM

Hi Merry, Thanks for reminding me about them! I can just get them in bulk and sprout a tbsp. or so.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables