Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

suggestions for bug free indoor plants?
Posted by: adrian ()
Date: August 19, 2010 01:57AM

hi everyone....this is my first time growing anything as i lived in a basement for 15 years! so i'm in a sunny apartment now and started some plants like cayenne pepper, parsley, tomatoes, nettle, sorrel, red peppers, dandelion. little green bugs came from i don't know where. i didn't know growing indoors there's still a problem with bugs. how do i get rid of them?

i tried diluted soap spray, didn't work. tried diatomaceous earth. didn't work. tried brushing the little things off, but of course more came back. interesting they didn't touch the parsley, sorrel or nettle and that's all i have left now. they adored the peppers especially.

i want to grow more but i don't want the bugs..

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: suggestions for bug free indoor plants?
Posted by: Curator ()
Date: August 20, 2010 04:54AM

Ive seen recipes involving powdered cayenne pepper and water, sounds like you have aphids, if so then that should work on them... If not, then im sorry to say, you may have to either forgo growing, or physically dispose of the little critters yourself...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: August 20, 2010 07:44AM

If the little buggies don"t like parsley, sorrel and nettle, What about blenderizing water with parsley, sorrel and/or nettle straining it and spraying the liquid on your other plants?

It's just an idea, though. I haven't tried it.

My favorite raw vegan

Date: August 20, 2010 10:50PM

thank you both for the suggestions. i'll try them!

Posted by: PatchMomma ()
Date: August 27, 2010 10:58PM

You could also try a spray of blended habenero (or other hot pepper) and garlic.

Also, some bugs will hatch eggs in the soil of your plants and stick around forever like fungus gnats....those can be foiled with a layer (at least 1/4" thick) of sand over your plants soil.

Good luck!

Date: August 29, 2010 05:51AM

oh i will try that sand, i noticed lots of things ontop of the soil from the bugs, immature stages of them maybe? thanks patchmomma.

Date: September 02, 2010 10:17AM

make sure its not sand from the beach, or if it is, boil the sand be4 use...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: September 03, 2010 02:54AM

oh beach sand...that sounds great, but no, just home depot i guess...thank you for the caution...i can just see me bringing in more bugs than i started with!

Date: September 04, 2010 01:30AM

Boil that sand too,lol... its usually collected at beaches.

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: September 04, 2010 02:25AM

okay i will!! thanks, i wouldn't have thought of it with bagged stuff.

Date: September 04, 2010 04:28AM

yeah, I found out the hard way in a fish tank...my poor fishiessad smiley

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Posted by: veghunter ()
Date: November 07, 2010 06:55PM

We always use soap and water (1-2 tbsp soap to 1 quart water). It doesn't usually work with just one treatment; you will probably need to do it a couple of times a week for a couple of weeks and gently wipe off visible insects with a paper towel. I use regular dishsoap and water or Safer's insecticidal soap. If you have a second bathroom, it works great just to stick several plants that need treatment in the tub or shower and spray there.

Posted by: merry ()
Date: December 14, 2010 05:01AM

Hello - I have also heard of soap as a spray but then do you really want to eat the leaves after? - I'm doubtful about that....it wouldnt matter much for things like peppers but I mean for things you eat the leaves of.
I have heard of veg oil sprays also and neem spray - so far I haven't found any thing that effective but would love to hear if someone finds something that works.
I guess I just wash them off regularly and eventually they seem to come less but that is a bit laborious.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables