Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Fertilizers
Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: October 11, 2010 06:54PM

What type of fertilizers do you use in your garden? I have been thinking of getting 'chickey doo doo' which is actually poultry waste. I think it would be high in N,P, K, but I wonder about possible diseases in it. Also the fact that its associated with chicken production. I would think that there are vegan fertilizers out there, I imagine it would be of higher quality. I hope its easy to find, and doesn't cost too much.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fertilizers
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: October 13, 2010 03:52AM

if your really dead set against using animal waste , you can add rock dust (Phosphorus and trace minerals), along with kelp meal or seaweed (Potassium and trace minerals), and grow a cover crop yearly of either peas or soybeans and till them back into the soil (they fix Nitrogeen into soil)

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2010 03:54AM by Jgunn.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: October 13, 2010 06:33PM

oops wanted to add you can harvest the beans and peas before you till it under its the nodes on the roots of the legumes that fix the nitrogen not the actual beans/peas themselves so enjoy the harvest then plow em under smiling smiley

(and nitrogeen was supposed to be nitrogen lol)

this table shows the best cover crops for fixing nitrogen, clover is best it seems but ya cant get much out of clover unless you want to eat the clover yourself so i prefer beans and peas smiling smiley [www1.agric.gov.ab.ca]

grinning smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2010 06:35PM by Jgunn.

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: October 14, 2010 12:34PM

I leave any volunteer clover or dandelions, both good for the soil and as greens. Worm @#$%& is good isn't it? I don't know the ratios or about nitrogen but this time of year (the fall here) I like to put down a heavy mulch over the potato garden which protects them over the winter and makes great worm habitat. I've planted winter rye some years that grows all winter and then can be tilled under as a green fertilizer and soil conditioner before planting. Mined 10,000 year old bat @#$%& or whatever works too, IMO. Horse manure/sawdust bedding is good except some weed seeds might come with it. Peat moss and straw bales would be weed free.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2010 12:38PM by loeve.

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: November 27, 2010 04:21PM

Great suggestions, thank you everyone!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables