Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Dead sea salt as a fertilizer?
Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: June 16, 2011 08:53PM

I got the idea of using dead sea salt as a fertilizer. Very dilute, I mixed maybe about 1/4 cup into 4 gallons of water, and poured it on some teff, tomatoes and melons and other plants I am growing in the garden. I thought of all the wonderful minerals. BUT THEN, I found some information about bromides being rather damaging to certain plants, and bromides are pretty high in dead sea salts. Of course the article I came accross was about bromides and chlorides used in pools. This would be different in isolation and in a broad mixture of salts.

I am thinking, man I should have researched more! Its been about 5-6 hours, and my plants are still alive. I am thinking thats good! but I am wondering if I should water them and thin the solution down. It might rain later, so I am waiting. What do you think?

Has anyone used dead sea salts as fertilizer? what was the result?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dead sea salt as a fertilizer?
Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: June 17, 2011 12:31PM

It rained really hard last night. So I am pretty sure its worked into the soil enough, and diluted enough. I feel pretty positive about it now. I looked at the teff and I don't know if its my imagination or not, but it seemed like it grew several inches higher overnight. So I am excited!

Posted by: janeisgreen ()
Date: August 08, 2011 12:08PM

Update please! Is this still showing signs of doing a good thing?

Posted by: rawalice ()
Date: August 24, 2011 11:19AM

salt is bad for your garden. at least this is what i learned in horticulture class. small fact, but i think this because my soil engineering teacher taught us that the reason human feces is unsuitable for manure is because of the generally high salt content. i'd do some extra watering and hope it doesn't damage the health of your plants.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: August 30, 2011 12:14PM

have you ever heard of the saying "Salt the earth" its a saying, cause salt will keep the vast majority of plant species from growing... if its dilute enough and your plants are well established, it may not harm them much, but salt builds up in soil, so I wouldnt suggest testing your luck and doing it again... or if you are convinced it can be helpful, start a few various pots, plant the exact same plant in each, and use one pot, normal water, second a fairly higher amount of the salt in it, third half that amount, 4th, half that amount, 5th half that... as far down as you wish to go, and chart the plants progress... may be more wise than using it on your garden again. oh and make sure to clearly mark which plant is which, so your results will remain valid. two to three plants for each stage might be best too, incase a pest, or some other variable effects the tests.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables