Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

I went to my community garden for the first time today!smiling smiley
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: June 16, 2011 09:20PM

In our downtime, I received an email that I would be able to get a plot at the local garden! (It wasn't a done deal until then.) So today I finally went there. I have never planted anything in my life (well, seriously anyhow) so we'll see how it goes. A few of the plants were starters (peppermint and tomato) and then I planted lemon cukes and regular cukes, multi-hued peppers, and more tomatoessmiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I went to my community garden for the first time today!smiling smiley
Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: June 17, 2011 12:29PM

Wow, sounds great. I planted peppermint last year. Very easy to take care of, and it survived the winter. My partner actually told me to watch it closely, or I might end up with more peppermint than I knew what to do with.

Date: June 17, 2011 03:58PM

Hey Mislu! I know, I am wondering if it will run amok in the garden but I believe that it repels garden pests so I wonder if it will actually help in the long run. I sure hope my seeds sprout!

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: June 22, 2011 09:30PM

I'm seeding mine in one inch sole containers before planting then letting nature take its course. During spinach and lettuce with kale.

Date: June 23, 2011 09:32PM

Update: It's been exactly one week at the gardensmiling smiley

So...this is what I have growing there: two types of cukes--lemon heirlooms and regular pickle types (from seed and sprouted in five days!smiling smiley), as well as small plants of: tomatoes (two types), purple jalapenos, bell peppers, kale, peppermint, strawberries, oregano, dark-leaf basil, lemon balm (melissa), and another gardner gave me an extra zuke plant this morning!smiling smiley

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: July 06, 2011 07:20PM

and now?

Date: July 11, 2011 11:11PM

pborst Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> and now?

Still growing strong. I am finally about to get some supports for my cukes, tomatoes, and maybe even zukes. The organic bell pepper plant has a small pepper growing!smiling smiley The lemon cukes are really doing well. I wish I had a digital camera and could post a pic of it. Maybe at some point...

Date: July 22, 2011 10:27PM

Update: I was at the garden the other day and looked at how overgrown everything is! Since this is my first go at a garden, I didn't really know what would happen with growing rates (or even if some stuff would sprout). For instance, another gardner gave me one of his zuke plants. He had three in his plot but they are so massive that he had to get rid of two of them. I watched this plant get bigger and spread out more and develop flowers. A few days ago, I looked underneath to see if any zukes were forming at all and there was a big one on the ground!smiling smiley And a smaller one on a stalk. I picked both, along with some flat kale I am growing, and made a nice salad.smiling smiley

Date: August 02, 2011 09:26PM

Update: Yesterday I went to water everything and I was looking over my cukes. This has been a year of experimenting since it's my first. garden. ever. And I had planted two packets of cukes in this plot (which isn't all that big!) not realizing how much one plant grows. I guess I was concerned that the seeds might not be viable. Well yesterday I was rooting around and got my first two pickles!smiling smiley Very exciting to me. I think next year I will grow seedlings, though. Then I will know exactly how to space stuff better.

Interesting observation: another gardener showed me his plot and he had ONE cantaloupe plant that was so big it was unbelievable! So I went to look at the development yesterday and I saw at least five melons of decent size on the ground. That is amazing. Perhaps I will buy an organic melon and save the seeds for next year...

Date: August 18, 2011 11:24PM

Update: Very interesting...I see that I first planted 6/16. So it's been around 60 days. I was wondering about the lemon cukes, which kept flowering but nothing else. Well, yesterday I saw the beginnings of at least two of them! smiling smiley So exciting! I also picked a zuke (very prolific) and some tiny tomatoes that are smaller than a cherry tomato. I didn't stake up one of the plants properly so it started growing along the bottom and I couldn't believe that these little tomatoes were able to ripen on the floor of the plot!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables