Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Has anyone ever grown stevia before?
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: July 11, 2011 11:13PM

I have a plant that is doing well. I bought it a while ago and keep it at home. I just get a kick out of the idea of even growing stevia. Curious if anyone else has a plant, also...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2011 11:13PM by banana who.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Has anyone ever grown stevia before?
Date: August 04, 2011 08:26PM

It's still going strong at home outsidesmiling smiley (Forgive me for such mundane details but when it comes to me and plants, this is BIG NEWS!smiling smiley)

Posted by: janeisgreen ()
Date: August 08, 2011 12:03PM

I'm growing stevia for the first time. I have two plants that are doing well. I think I'll start cutting off some & drying it now. I'm going to air dry rather than use the dehydrator. I dried some basil in the machine but it's not near as nice as herbs air dried. (I usually don't even use sweeteners, but like you, I thought it was a neat idea!)

Date: September 29, 2011 04:40PM

Jane, will you be bringing your stevia inside for the winter (if you have one)? My plant really took off but I am hoping that it can last inside where there's not huge amounts of Sun.

Date: November 08, 2011 05:10AM

Has anyone's stevia flowered? It looks to be about to do it...smiling smiley

Posted by: AngieR19 ()
Date: November 16, 2011 06:09PM

I had to take my plant in the house due to cold weather. It is starting to get white flowers but I noticed that some of the branches are beginning to wilt and die. I have grow lights on it but maybe they are not enough?

I have also read that you need to start new cuttings every other year as the productiveness of the plant diminishes after the second year. This is my year growing so not sure about this.

Posted by: sproutman ()
Date: March 13, 2012 05:33AM

I live in Northern Cali. First few years not so good luck with stevia, then this last year I hit the jackpot. Don't know exactly what I did right, but I babied them until they were about 10" tall, Then planted them in very soft manure compost soil, and now I have about 3 quart jars tightly packed with dry leaf, from 5 plants. And it tastes WONDERFUL! I am using it in everything. I might donate a jar to a friend who does all kinds of extracting processes, to see what he can do, because I have not been impressed with the extracts I have found in the store.

Good Luck!

Sproutman

Date: March 17, 2012 08:33PM

Thanks but...er...I need to get a new plant. The old one kicked the bucket over the wintersad smiley

I think I will use Miracle Gro on the next one...That's what the man at the health store does and his stevia is inside and thrivingsmiling smiley

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 17, 2012 09:06PM

Have you heard of liquid seaweed as a fertilizer? It's all natural and full of minerals, supposed to be amazing for plants. My mom had a stevia in the back yard, she uses that miracle grow stuff too. I'm not sure how healthy that stuff is...

Date: March 21, 2012 11:23PM

Coco, I heard that you mix kelp powder with water and that's a fertilizer.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 22, 2012 02:04AM

Sure. Might be a bit more expensive than the stuff that's just for plants if it's a food grade kelp but use whatever you can get your hands on. Full of minerals. Manure or compost tea is pretty wicked too.

Posted by: janeisgreen ()
Date: July 07, 2012 04:06PM

Sorry, I haven't been here in a long time. Last year's two stevia plants did beautifully without me doing anything special.

This year, I bought seeds...they didn't even germinate! There's a plant in the spot where I had the stevia & I thought it was one of the old ones come to life, but it's flowering now & the flowers don't look like ones I've seen on-line.

So, I have no stevia now. sad smiley

Posted by: Leaf ()
Date: July 21, 2012 07:05AM

I have one flowering in the yard. They even sell good quality, organic stevia plants in the local supermarket here now smiling smiley

But I know quite a few people working at small-scale plant nurseries, and they all tell me it's hard to grow it from seeds. I've never really tried it myself though.

My journey with wild superfoods [www.wildplantforager.com]

Date: July 22, 2012 06:05PM

Leaf, I had it as a plant but was not able to sustain it. I don't know exactly what happened but it never really took off too well. As I mentioned earlier, I loved to take a leaf of stevia and a leaf of spearmint and chew them together for edible gum! smiling smiley

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: October 22, 2012 01:24PM

Hello Stevia growers!

I've been growing a plant on my windowsill, it's doing pretty well, it's now growing fruit - I'm wondering what can be done with this fruit, if that's not a stupid question? At the moment it's a dark green colour, so I'm guessing it's not ripe yet. I tried Googling, but I can't find any info, it's all clogged up with sites about dried stevia :/

Date: October 22, 2012 06:06PM

OMG, are you serious?! That is pretty wild. I will ask a couple who are growing it in their health store (it's HUGE). They never mentioned fruit from the stevia.

And people, it's pronounced STEV-ia (not STEVE ia)smiling smiley

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: October 29, 2012 10:23AM

Really, it's unusual then? ha, I'm never usually very green fingered!

And thanks for the heads-up about the pronunciation, I never knew that! I still say Kefir wrong, I know it's supposed to be like Kiefer Sutherland, but I just can't get out the habit of saying it like 'kefeer' :/

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables