Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Productive Plants
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: August 30, 2011 11:14PM

Does anyone know why my plants don't seem to be super productive? Could it be because I planted two packets of cukes in a small raised bed along with all the other stuff and nutrients are being sucked up by too many different plants? I have never used fertilizer in my bed; we are forbidden to use anything not organic and I don't know enough about feeding plants. I am getting a whole bunch of flowers and someone told me that means they are potential plants. But then most don't seem to come to fruition. I do see some of the bigger tomatoes developing and I have purple jalepenos and a green pepper developing. I just look at other people's beds and they seem so much more bountiful! I did start mine later than theirs, so perhaps I just have to wait.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Productive Plants
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: August 31, 2011 04:16AM

overcrowding and underfertilizing can lead to low yield yep smiling smiley

its hard at first when you plant stuff to thin stuff out .. it feels like sucha waste !!

kelp meal is pretty cheap generally and a great source of fertilizer , also keeping a worm bin for your scraps and tossing the compost in is awesome too smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: August 31, 2011 04:19PM

Hey Jodi, thanks!smiling smiley Funny--I just talked to the manager of the garden about starting a group compost and she said they are in the planning stages of it. I will research this winter to see about doing it in my apt. (or if I can do it inside). I am not squeamish about worms but I don't really like the idea of having them in a container in my apt. slithering around my veggie garbage....If I could keep the bin outside, it would be okay but I don't know that I can do that. Having it at the garden would be best. I would take my scraps over there.

I meant to say that flowers turned into fruits. Yup. I didn't quite get the concept of why we should thin out the plants. Oh well, it's all a learning experience, right?

And for anyone like me reading this who is a newbie gardner, I just found a great beginner's resource: "You Grow, Girl" by Gayla Trail.

Date: September 01, 2011 11:11PM

Oh Jodi, hope you read this tonight or tomorrow...I forgot to ask you if kelp powder is the same as the meal. I have a bottle that I don't use (I like seaweed but not kelp) and what a great way to use what I have!

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: September 02, 2011 05:38AM

yep same stuff smiling smiley just mix it with water and water your plants with it ..anything that doesnt disolve just toss in the bed smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2011 05:39AM by Jgunn.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables