Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

alternatives to the easygreen sprouter?
Posted by: adamlogan ()
Date: November 30, 2011 07:32AM

Hi all,

I'm looking at the EasyGreen automatic sprouters right now to help bump up my nutrition intake and lower the cost of buying sprouted goods such as Wheatgrass at my local store. I'm looking at this because I've never grown anything before. My mom has a raised bed garden in the backyard but it's as far as it gets from the house, and Winter is coming. I like the idea of starting my own garden but don't really have my own space and don't want to interfere with my mom's stuff.

I'm wondering if the Microfarm is really worth it? I don't like the idea of disinfecting it with those harsh chemicals and stuff. I noticed EasyGreen has a "Wheatgrass Grower" package which is literally 3 Microfarms stacked on top of each other. The idea is that if you want several ounces of Wheatgrass juice, you'd need 3 Microfarm units to do that.

But I'm wondering if this is overkill? How beneficial is it to drink several ounces of Wheatgrass a day? When I bought Wheatgrass in the past, I'd only snip off a few tufts at a time and add it to my smoothies. Seems like you need a lot of Wheatgrass for it to be beneficial or something?

I'm having a hard time gauging if I should go for just one Microfarm unit, or 3 per the Wheatgrass Grower package, or not get it at all and do it via different means or product. I would think I'd like to experiment with other sprouts too (never tried any others as of yet tho).

Ideally I'd just get one and buy another unit if I needed them, but the savings of buying the WheatGrass Grower package make me think twice. Actually scratch that, it's actually cheaper to buy 3 refurbished Microfarms. What do you all think?

I've noticed in most videos on youtube people generally get one MircroFarm unit and don't even use all 5 trays, just 3 or so. Hmm.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: alternatives to the easygreen sprouter?
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: November 30, 2011 08:18AM

i have a single unit easygreen and its more than enough wheatgrass for me smiling smiley i use distilled water in mine so not to build up any mineral residue and flush it with hydrogen peroxide

on the website here the price for a single unit is 179 and free shipping [www.discountjuicers.com]

so thats under the $600 for a stackable set at most other sites .. its easily a better deal to buy it one at a time or 3 ... if its just you ..one is probably sufficient

unless you want to sell wheatgrass smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2011 08:24AM by Jgunn.

Date: November 30, 2011 10:26PM

Thanks, put in an order for one unit. See how it goes from there =).

Date: December 01, 2011 06:40PM

Super Adam ! Keep me posted on how you are getting on with it. I find myself trying to sprout everything since I got it lol smiling smiley

Date: December 01, 2011 09:28PM

also Adam .. if you find you have more wheatgrass then you can handle even with one (and im with you on this .. 1 unit producing just wheatgrass is more than enough for me) .. just snip it and dry it

.. you dont even need a fancy dehydrator .. just take take 2 window screens .. place the snipped grass on one .. cover with the other screen .. duct tape the two together and just let it go .. let it dry and grind it up for powder .. great greens powder adn nothing going to waste !

this is how i dryed alot of herbs before getting my excalibur (that got stolen) then relaced by sedona. screen drying is easy .. especially for herbs and little greens and cheap and ..well relatively free ! grinning smiley

Date: December 21, 2011 06:04PM

hey Adam im wondering how you are making out with your sprouter smiling smiley

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 26, 2012 05:19PM

I'm wondering too...

Jo I don't recommend taking ground grass internally, the fiber is too intense for our digestive system. Dehydrated juice, yes, whole grass, no.

Date: May 27, 2012 12:55AM

Hey, sorry I didn't see this until just now. Yeah one unit is more than enough, unless you really want a tall glass of juiced Wheatgrass everyday.

I find I like blending more than juicing most of the time. It's less time consuming and I'm getting the fibers.

What's been bothering me lately is I'm not sure what I should be sprouting or not and what I'm supposed to do with the sprouts. I guess I need to pick up a good book on macro-nutrients?

I've tried Alfalfa, broccoli sprouts and winter berries. I was told that winterberries are wheatgrass. It's been expensive buying from my local health food store. I'm wondering if I should be buying online or something. Any suggestions?

Date: May 27, 2012 10:11AM

[sproutpeople.org] is probably a really good spot for you to check out even if you dont buy their seeds at least you get a good idea what is safe to sprout and eat smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables