Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

growing figs
Posted by: vermontnl ()
Date: February 19, 2012 01:03PM

So I went to a wonderful workshop on growing figs (a semi-tropical plant) in the north. I am now in zone 4A, which is a bit too cold for fig plants without any winter protection. They also need about 10 square feet of space around them. In the winter they are pruned way back. Branches are bent down and covered, whole plants are circled in insulating material and wrapped, or figs can be grown in 'cool' houses (which means they don't get below 33 degrees Fahrenheit). The workshop presenter is using this last method and is getting a large bowl of figs each day in the summer with two harvests seasons for the variety he is using. I am going to try his method with a solar/ mass/ compost/ wood backup heated greenhouse next year. My friend has a fig and I am going to get hardwood cuttings off of it in the fall.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: growing figs
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 19, 2012 03:59PM

That's awesome! Please keep us up to date with your progress, I'm always so amazing at success growing things out of their zone. I so want to grow Moringa but I don't quite know how it would ever work here in Southern Ontario.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: February 20, 2012 06:39PM

What about FL? Like, we get our American figs from CA, right? So why not FL? Is it the humidity? Is there a limit on how much heat is allowed for growing figs?

Posted by: vermontnl ()
Date: February 20, 2012 10:15PM

banana who,
Figs love heat and it is easy! to grow figs in Florida. If you know someone who has a fig, take a 6 inch hardwood cutting now and plant it in the ground up to 2-3 buds exposed. That should do it with good compost and watering. Allow 10 feet of space for the full sized tree. I am sure people are growing figs in Florida.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables