Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Okay, so this morning I bought a watermelon plant...
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: May 26, 2012 08:19PM

I wish it was a more compact variety: this type says it can get up to 20 lbs. (!). I have a pretty small raised bed and so I am wondering if it's going to work out. I could train up the vines, I am thinking...I don't want them sprawling all over the bed and choking out everything.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Okay, so this morning I bought a watermelon plant...
Date: May 29, 2012 04:40PM

I talked to another gardener at our space and she said we might be planting a melon patch! So then it would have lots of room to sprawlsmiling smiley

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: May 30, 2012 06:12PM

that would be great in a community garden smiling smiley cuz yea melons really spread and due to the weight .. very difficult to trellis ..

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: May 30, 2012 07:57PM

Actually Jodi, last year a guy did trellis his cantaloupes. He used pantyhose as a sling to hold them up as they grew. Of course the nylon expands...very ingenius. But these will be way bigger watermelons so the hose idea won't work, LOL

Date: May 31, 2012 08:36AM

my friend used lingerie bags for her watermelons to hang them off the ground smiling smiley 20+lbs is challenge tho smiling smiley

Posted by: vermontnl ()
Date: June 04, 2012 08:46PM

There are watermelon varieties that are smaller and tasty like 'Sugar Baby'
[www.highmowingseeds.com]

Date: June 04, 2012 11:48PM

Thanks for the link Vermont (and for that soap link, too!). I might try a smaller variety. I didn't read the fine print when I bought the seedling.

Today I just planted it on the side of a hill. LOL- I emailed them and asked if I could and got no response so I did it anywaywinking smiley

Date: August 29, 2012 10:54PM

Update: it's good to know when I planted the watermelon because I had forgotten! It's almost been 90 days apparently and I thought it said it would fruit in 80 days. I planted it on a hill full of weeds and even though I cleared a space for the actual plant, I neglected to think about anticipating the sprawl and it is creeping up the hill (tangled in weeds) and has flowered. smiling smiley I wonder if the drought retarded its growth. Probably. In any case, I am hoping that even in Sept. it will be able to continuing growing and eventually produce a few melons. It stays pretty hot here most Sept.

Date: September 10, 2012 10:25PM

Woot!!!! I went today to check on my plants and the watermelon has a baby melon!!!! smiling smiley I hope it stays hot enough for it to develop properly. I was under the impression that it loves heat but maybe once it fruits it's not as important. This variety is an icebox type so very small--8 lbs. or so.

Date: September 20, 2012 11:04AM

That is worthy of a woot for sure. If you find your fruits sitting on the ground. And don't want them to lay on the dirt jus set them down Ina mason jar under them. Will keep them off the ground and the jar shouldn't tip as its weighted down ! smiling smiley

Date: October 02, 2012 06:05PM

Update: I picked my watermelon yesterday. I am sure it's not edible but I will cut it open tonight and find out!

Date: October 09, 2012 03:16AM

Update: okay, this is way cool. I picked the mini watermelon 6 days ago and it was sitting on my coffee table the whole time. I had noticed it had a soft spot on the bottom and thought there was no way it was edible. I finally opened it today and although it's so small, the flavor is AMAZING! Of course it has seeds but they are almost crunchy and I ate them instead of spitting them out. It had a flavor of watermelons of yesterday before they hybrized the sht out of them...Very exciting and now I'm chomping on the bit for next year!smiling smiley The only thing I was wondering is why only one melon formed when they are supposed to be very prolific. I wonder if it was the drought or that I planted later...I planted on 6/4--seemed pretty early to me but who knows...

Date: October 09, 2012 05:09PM

just a suggestion next year when you plant yer melons ...take a small paint brush and when you start to see the flowers open every time you are there .. just pick up some pollen from one flower and brush it onto another flower an go from flower to flower

its possible you just didnt get any pollinator doing the job ..no pollinator ..no fruit smiling smiley

sometimes we have to be ..the bee grinning smiley

this vid (herky jerky camera man caution lol) gives you a good idea how to ID the male an female .. like isaid i use a paintbrush .. he rips the male flower off an just uses that .. either way gets the job done smiling smiley (i prefer to use a paintbrush because at times i have an harrd time ID'in which ones are male an female and just transfer pollen to all the flowers lol)

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2012 05:10PM by Jgunn.

Date: October 10, 2012 01:13AM

Thanks, Jodi. I saw something similar before but what is so hard to understand is why there seemed not to be many flowers on the watermelon to begin with. It probably had to do with the location of the plot.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables