Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

What can you eat on the plants?
Posted by: Emanuelle ()
Date: June 21, 2012 04:19PM

Hi,
I recently started to grow vegetables since I got a plot of land this spring. I am very excited!! I of course want to use as much as possible on the plants and not miss out of nourishment-goodies. So I wonder if you guys can share some knowledge about which parts that are eatable on plants. I know for example that you can eat the leaves of beets, radishes and carrots and that you can not eat the leaves of potatoes. What can you eat other than the given things on different plants? I mean, that you can eat tomatoes on tomatoplants i kind of a given :-) but can you eat the leafs?
Leaves, flowers, stems... what can one eat??
// Emanuelle

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What can you eat on the plants?
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: June 21, 2012 05:18PM

Why don't you Google it? It differs by the plant. I don't think anyone on here can give you a run-down on the myriad of plants and which are edible. It's safer just to research it yourself. If I am not mistaken, tomato leaves are poisonous but don't quote me on it.

Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: July 25, 2012 07:07PM

No way are carrot leaves edible. They aren't poisonous, but they are pure, tough fiber and inedible for that reason. Even if they are cooked, which I tried years ago. Ugh.

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: August 11, 2012 12:54AM

Here is a list of flowers which are edible. Marigold has some pigments which are supposed to be good for the eyes. I know of an eye formula with marigold concentrates. I am not sure why slightly toxic flowers are included, or ones which caution against allergies due to pollen. Thats something to watch out for. I also don't know if all the flowers need to be cooked, as it is a cooking page. But I hope this helps.
[homecooking.about.com]

Posted by: Leaf ()
Date: August 19, 2012 06:29AM

All leaves from vegetables from the cabbage family (think broccoli, cauliflower, but also turnips, kohlrabi, radishes, daikon etc.) are edible as well.

My journey with wild superfoods [www.wildplantforager.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables