Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Garden updatesmiling smiley
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: July 06, 2012 02:58AM

I have added a plot. Talking to another gardener, I discovered that some of the abandoned plots near mine have not been in use for at least a year. Since I had extra plants, I am using this one temporarily.

This year I have many varieties of peppers--hot and bell-type. I am not sure how prolific they'll be--they sure are taking their time growing--but any extras I can give to a food bank and maybe even trade with other gardeners growing things I would like.

I am growing a watermelon plant! Tomatillo! Different varieties of tomatoes (my absolute fave). Snap peas, zuke, lemon cukes and regular pickles.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Garden updatesmiling smiley
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 06, 2012 10:52PM

Awesome! Cherry tomatoes and dill in our supper tonight. Loving the green space though the move has dominated all our attention in the past week so that green space has gotten even greener - with weeds! LOL, got some work to do out there.

Date: July 22, 2012 06:07PM

A fellow gardener pointed out that my beds are rather low. I must have lost soil somehow over the winter. Do raised beds have bottoms? Maybe a strange question but I am wondering if my roots will just grow into the ground.

Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: July 25, 2012 07:05PM

What you lost over the winter is organic matter, and it didn't really happen during a cold winter (depends where you live, of course) but in the spring, when all that action occurs with the warm temperatures. Plus natural settling.

Yes, if your beds are low, the roots will grow into the ground. Of course this depends on how long the roots of your particular plants are and what your "ground" consists of. If it's hard as rock, the plants' roots will behave as if they are houseplants, stuck in a limited space.

"Do raised beds have bottoms?" Depends on how you built your raised beds. Some growers just heap the soil up and that's it. Others build a brick or wooden frame to hold the soil in place (a better idea). Others use large wood or plastic containers that have a bottom. So whether you consider that raised bed gardening or container gardening, I don't know.

Date: July 27, 2012 01:08AM

Horsea, thanks. I didn't build them. There are wooden sides but it occured to me that perhaps the bottom was not completely solid, to allow for the roots to expand. On the other hand, the whole point of raised beds is to fill it with your own soil and avoid possible toxic material in the dirt. I compared my plots with some other gardeners and the best ones have completely full beds. Of course, they might be plumped up with mulch or whatever.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables