Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Tomatillo plant flowering like crazy
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: August 21, 2012 05:16PM

but zero flowers. I am assuming it's due to lack of pollination. I was just wondering if anyone has grown a tomatillo plant before and knows its maturation process.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tomatillo plant flowering like crazy
Date: August 21, 2012 11:29PM

LOL--now that didn't make sense. Correction: zero fruits and boffo number of flowers.

Posted by: vermontnl ()
Date: August 22, 2012 11:06AM

Hi again bw,

Tomatillos take a long time to fruit. It may just be a matter of time. I started mine early indoors in the spring, transplanted after the last frost (here in VT in late May this year - didn't want to take any chances) and my plants are just starting to make fruits, on some plants bigger ones than others.

Tomatillos have perfect flowers and can self-pollinate. This is usually done by the wind shaking the pollen onto the stigma in the same flower.

Also, too much nitrogen may delay fruiting. I would check for excessive nitrogen and also check for adequate calcium which is needed for good fruits.

Date: August 22, 2012 10:29PM

Thanks, Vermontnl! That makes me feel better. I bought an actual plant and it's gone gangbusters and tons of flowers so I was just wondering if fruits were even going to form. The little tag that comes with the plant and says how long 'til maturity seemed to suggest it would have fruited by now. But with the drought and excessive heat, who knows?

Say, what do you do with tomatillos? I have never used them for anything. I was thinking of raw green salsa (which I do with regular tomatoes).

Date: August 25, 2012 12:19PM

yeah, tomatillos in my raw salsa, yum! Also make salsa ferment for longer storage by just adding 2 tbsp whole salt to quart of salsa. And like a gazpacho with tomatoes, cukes, tomatillos, etc with either cilantro, parsley, basil or other green.

Date: September 04, 2012 04:30PM

Update: Man, talk about weird...I just visited my garden this morning. Tomatillo continues to go bonkers with the flowers and the growth but no fruit yet! I thought I saw the beginnings of a husk, though...I am crossing my fingers...

Date: September 06, 2012 08:11PM

bw-
Check to see if something is eating your flowers, like slugs...

Date: September 07, 2012 03:39PM

Thanks, Vermont. Will do! However, the plant is very healthy-looking in general. No dried leaves or shriveled stalks. The flowers look vibrant.

Date: September 24, 2012 05:54PM

Update: still zero fruits. I am wondering if the proximity to tomatoes and cukes affected its abililty to fruit?

Date: October 13, 2012 12:09PM

Hi bw,

I have to admit, I grew 6 tomatillo plants, got a bunch of tomas, both green and purple varieties, but there were 2 plants that did what yours did, flower and not fruit, I do not know why. What else can I say...

Vermontnl

Date: October 14, 2012 05:44PM

Wow, I wonder what the possible reason is? My lemon cukes were not so productive, either. I mean, they produced quite a few but not to the level I expected. The bigger tomatoes did not ripen...Aargh!

Date: November 02, 2012 12:56AM

Bizarre Update: Went to my garden after a week or so. It's been cold at night--close to freezing. Guess what? I saw HUSKS on the tomatillo plant! A bunch of them! I am going to double-check but I doubt they can continue to grow during such cold nights but who knows?

Date: November 02, 2012 12:59AM

Just read something revelatory on Wikipedia: [en.wikipedia.org]

Tomatillos have a hard time self-pollinating and require at least two plants! I only had one...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables