Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Is it True about Nuts??
Posted by: mindy66 ()
Date: January 18, 2013 09:37PM

Is it true that if they are not first sprouted that the body will not assimilate them properly??

If so, sprouting is something I've never done, but need to learn. Any good articles or websites that you might know of that could teach me??

Thanks.

Mindy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it True about Nuts??
Posted by: Living Food ()
Date: January 18, 2013 11:01PM

Yes. Nuts (and seeds, grains, and legumes) contain nutrient and enzyme inhibitors that not only make them very hard to digest, but can also rob your body of minerals. Long-term consumption of unsprouted nuts and seeds can lead to serious mineral deficiencies and digestive problems. Most people just soak their nuts, and that does help break down the inhibitors, but only partially. Sprouting is necessary for maximum digestion and nutrient availability.

Why does sprouting inactivate these compounds? Well, they serve two main purposes: prevent the seed from germinating in unfavorable conditions and prevent the seed from being eaten before it germinates (after that it's on its own). The condition these seeds are waiting for is optimum moisture; sprouting emulates natural rainfall conditions and tricks the seed into germinating. Before it germinates, it can lay dormant for years. But when it starts to germinate, the enzymatic activity skyrockets, concentrated fats, proteins, and carbohydrates are predigested and broken down into more easily digestible forms, and nutritional compounds like vitamins and phytonutrients increase dramatically (remember that the plant produces these for it's own benefit and metabolic purposes. Germination results in a massive increase in enzymes, vitamins, some minerals, hormones, oxygen levels, and other phytonutrients, and to top it off sprouts have the highest electromagnetic vibration [read: life force energy] of any food due to this rapid growth and mobilization of nutrients). So as you see, sprouting doesn't just eliminate harmful compounds, but greatly magnifies the nutrient levels in the food too. In this age of high stress and pollution, sprouts are necessary for proper health and nutrition. Veggies, fruits, and unsprouted nuts and seeds just won't cut it anymore (more on that later).

The other thing to be wary of is whether or not you have raw nuts. It is very, very difficult to find truly raw nuts, at least here in the US. Almost any nut you can buy at store is dead (either pasteurized or fumigated), your only real hope is health food stores, buying online from sprouting/raw food websites, or getting your nuts right from the farmer. The first two are not guaranteed, you'll have to ask the manager or producer and confirm wether the nuts are raw or not.

Nuts also tend to be the trickiest food to sprout. A very good substitute for nuts that avoids all of these problems is to buy raw sesame seeds and sprout them. Sesame seed sprouts are an amazing source of iron, calcium, b vitamins, vitamin e, a good source of zinc, and full of many trace minerals too. You can even ferment them (and nuts) into raw vegan yogurt or cheese; the fermentation process eliminates even more nutrient inhibitors and fermented nuts + seeds are even easier to digest and have even higher levels of enzymes, vitamins, and other nutrients.

Date: January 18, 2013 11:04PM

Articles or websites? Pfft, I'll teach you myself (tomorrow). Ironically I'm off to tend to my sprouts now smiling smiley

Date: January 19, 2013 04:29PM

Sprouting is actually very simple - all you do is soak the seeds, then rinse them every 8-12 hours until they're ready. Different seeds have different soak and sprouting times. A few examples:

* lentils: soak 10-12 hours, sprout 4-5 days. Rinse twice a day.

* wheat/rye/barley: soak 10-12 jours, sprout for about 2 days. Rinse twice a day.

* quinoa: soak 4 hours and sprout about 1.5-2 days, by which time they should have a tail almost as long as the seed itself (the rule of thumb for sprouting). Rinse 3 times a day and always rinse quinoa very well to get rid of all the soapy white froth.

The easiest and most convenient sprouting method is to sprout in jars. All you need are glass jars (mason or otherwise) and mesh lids, and a rubber band around each jar to hold the mesh lid in place. Like this:

[i19.photobucket.com]

Nuts follow special rules though, they tend to need much higher soaking times. I am not an expert on sprouting nuts becasue raw nuts are too hard for me to get + too expensive, but this is what I know -

* sprouting nuts with the shell on requires that you soak them for weeks because it takes that long for the moisture to penetrate the shell, and you should change the water + rinse the shells periodically. So they're unique in that you don't soak and then rinse like normal sprouts, you rinse while soaking until they sprouts.

* nuts sprout much quicker if you remove the shell, but you hav to be very careful not to crack the actual nut becasue if you do it will rot and not sprout. But without the shell most nuts will sprout within two weeks.

Becasue raw nuts are hard to find, expensive, and have very long sprout times, I prefer to use sesame seed sprouts as my main source of fat.

Date: January 19, 2013 04:46PM

Where to get sprouting seeds:

You can get sprouting seeds at your local healthfood store, or you can buy them in bulk online (much cheaper). any sprouts can even be bought at your local supermarket; dry lentils, whole (not split) peas, and any dry beans (only a few are edible raw though, mainly mung beans, adzuki beans and chickpeas). If your store carries quinoa or amaranth you can try sprouting those too, same with any dry grain. Some stores also sell whole raw flax seeds, you can sprout these too but you need to use a specia l method becasue they're mucaliginous.

More on sprouting:

GREEN SPROUTS

Alfalfa and red clover = soak 4 hours, sprout 5-6 days. Jar method is best, and you only need 2 tablespoons of seed per quart jar of sprouts.
Fenugreek = soak 5-6 hours, sprout for 5-6 days. Use 3 tablespoons per quart jar. You can also grow fenugreek on soil, I'll get to that in a minute.
Broccoli = Soak 4 hours, sprout 4-6 days. Use 3 tablespoons per quart jar.
Radish [no personal experience] = Soak for about 6 hours, sprout for 4-6 days.

You can eat the sprout of ANY plant which has edible leaves.

MICROGREENS

Microgreens are just green sprouts grown on soil until the cotyledon stage. Cut the tops off just above the growing medium and eat or juice. Microgreens are slightly trickier to grow then jar sprouts for novices because you need to be more careful with watering, but they are the most nutritious land foods on the planet.

Microgreens include wheatgrass, ryegrass, barleygrass, oatgrasss, speltgrass, kamutgrass, sunfower greens, pea shoot greens, fenugreek greens, chia greens, buckwheat greens in moderation. Although ANY green sprout can be grown into a microgreen, these are the best ones.

If you wanted to grow some wheatgrass, for example, you would take some wheat seeds, soak them for 10-12 hours, and sprout them for 2 days. Then you would place them in a tray of soil so that they were touching but not overlapping (for example, 1.5 cups of wheat if you are using a 10 inch square tray) and cover the tray with newspaper or another sprouting tray; when the grass pushes the newspaper/tray up as it grows then remove it and place the grass in indirect sunlight. During this whole process remember to keep the soil moist but not wet, and ideally you would water the wheatgrass with a little kelp fertilizer, diluted sea water or trace mineral drops diluted in water - wheatgrass is able to pick up nearly every known mineral, but it can't do that unless the minerals are present in the soil.

I'll post directions to growing the other microgreens later if you want; the process is generally the same as with wheatgrass with a few exceptions. If you decide to take the plunge and try to growing your own I'll also post instructions on how to avoid the white mold that sometimes shows up on wheatgrass.

LEGUME SPROUTS

Lentil = 10-12 hours soak, sprout for 4-6 days in jars. Use 4 tbsp per jar.
Adzuki bean = 12 hour soak, sprout for 3-4 days. Use 4-5 tbsp per quart jar.
Mung bean = 12 hour soak, sprout for 4-5 days. Use 3-4 tbsp per quart jar. If you want absolutely perfect mung beans that melt in your mouth you need to grow them on trays under pressure and water them 5-6x/day, but that's too much hassle and they turn out just fine in jars, although the tails are much smaller without pressure.
Pea = soak for 8-12 hours and sprout for about 3 days, but it's much better to grow it as a microgreen and sprout it for 10-14 days on soil and juice the greens.

GRAIN/PSUEDOGRAIN SPROUTS

Millet = soak 8 hours, sprout for 2-3 days. Use 4 tbsp per quart jar.
Oats = soak for 4-6 hours, sprout 2-3 days.
Quinoa = Soak 4 hours, sprout for 1-2 days [very fast sprout]. Always rinse very well and keep rinsing the jar until all of the white froth is gone. Quinoa is one of the fastest sprouts there is. Use 4 tbsp per quart. Quinoa sprouts are frequently ready after a single day and you can even get away with not soaking them at all, although I don't recommend it.
Amaranth = soak for about 4 hours and sprout for 2-4 days. Use 4 tbsp per quart.

SEEDS

Sesame = soak 6-8 hours, sprout for 1-2 days (any longer and they get quite bitter, otherwise they have a pleasnat nutty flavor). An amazing source of so many minerals and a very good source of b vitamins and vitamin E. I eat sesame seed sprouts as one of my meals every day.
Hulled sunflower = soak for about 4-6 hours, sprout for 2-3 days. If they start to turn brown they are oxidizing and you sprotued them for too long.
Pumpkin = soak for 4 hours or so, sprout for 2-5 days (depends on when they germinate). Many people say that you can't sprout pumpkin seeds, but that's nonsense. It's the same with almonds. I don't like to eat many pumpkin sprouts, though, because they are too high in phosphorous and too low in calcium to be a staple.

Two of the most amazing foods in the world are poppy seed sprouts and hemp seed sprouts...the mineral content is unbelievable! unfortunately it is illegal to gorw them in the US, but I may buy some small packets of poppy seeds to grow flowers with...*wink*

The above are just basic instructions, the sprouting time depends on the temerature, the specific seeds, and other factors. But they're good guidelines to shoot for at first, and once you get experienced you'll know what times to use for sprouting seeds in your area. You can also use much higer quantities of sprout per jar then I listed, but for beginners those are good starting points. Once you get more experienced you can use more, but it increases the chance of water retention and rotting which is why you should start with smaller amounts.

Date: January 19, 2013 05:04PM

Some of the benefits of specific sprouts:

*Alfalfa: Very high in minerals and very alkalizing, high in chlorophyll.

*Clover: Very good for cleansing the blood and supporting the liver.

*Fenugreek: Great for improving digestion + good for detoxing the liver, and stabilizes blood sugar. Contains some vitamin D3.

*Broccoli: One of the best anti-cancer foods ever discovered; John Hopkins University found that broccoli sprouts contain 20-50 times the amount of the very powerful anti-cancer nutrient sulforaphane as mature broccoli; that means that a tablespoon of broccoli sprouts contains the same amount of that nutrient as a pound of broccoli!!!

*Cereal grasses: Can pick up nearly every element from the soil if they are present (either 95 or 96 I think), great source of chlorophyll, contain the elusive "grass juice factor", best source of phytonutrients ever discovered, and kill EVERY cancer and bad bacteria they were tested against. Great liver detoxifiers and very alkalizing. There are so many other amazing things I could say about grass juice, everyone should drink 6-8 oz of it every day, minimum.

*Sunflower greens: Most balanced source of land protein there is, amazing source of mood-enhancing chemicals, one of the few vegan sources of vitamin D3, a great source of photons (life energy). Everyone should be drinking 6-8 oz of sunflower green juice everyday as well.

*Pea shoot greens: Great source of alkalizing minerals and other nutrients (vitamins, hormones, enzymes, other phytonutrients).

*Buckwheat greens: Amazing liver detoxifier and also a great source of other nutrients, but it does contain a natural toxin called fagopyrin, which causes your skin to become very sensitive to sunlight; best used in moderation.

*Chia greens: Somewhat tricky to grow but absolutely amazing, drinking a glass of chia green juice everyday will make you immune to the cold and send your mood through the roof and make you feel like your in paradise. A very good source of omega-3 fatty acids (36 times more absorbable then from the seed or oil).

*Mung beans: Contain very high levels of extremely potent anti-aging enzymes called "auxinons". Capable of reversing gray hair + hair lose in most people and counteracting most effects of aging.

*Oats: One of the best sources of choline and good for increasing testosterone in men.

*Sesame: Very high levels of many minerals, loads of B vitamins, high levels of vitamin E. 5 tablespoons will almost give you the RDA for iron + calcium (not that the RDAs are accurate, but that's a lot of calcium + iron).

*Poppy: The best source of zinc there is, and they contain every nutrient ssame sprouts due but have even more of them! These sprouts blow sesame seed sprouts out of the water. One of the most amazing sprouts there is, it's a huge disappointment that it's illegal to grow in the US.

*Hemp: One of the best sources of omega-3 fatty acids, and the vitamin + mineral content blows both sesame AND poppy sprouts out of the water. Also a huge disappointment that it's illegal to grow in the US.

*Walnut: One of the best brain foods there is.

All sprouts have loads of vitamins, minerals, enzymes, hormones, oxygen + other phytonutrients, so I focused on the most unique characteristics of the above sprouts.

Not only does sprouting drastically increase the amount of vitamins, enzymes, hormones, and other phytonutrients in the food, it also drastically increases the availability of many minerals. But the biggest mystery is that sprouts grown in controlled environments (no minerals) will actually have higher levels of minerals then the unsprouted seed which should be impossible according to modern science, but I know how it happens.

Green sprouts are the most nutritious foods there are, everyone needs to be consuming at least 24 oz of green sprout juice everyday, even better would be to drink 32-40 oz/day (that's what I do). Fruits and veggies today are grown in severely nutrient-depleted soil, so they're already much less nutritious then those same foods were 50-100 years ago. Theyr'e also hybridized, which causes them to pick up even less of the few minerals still remaining in the soil. And the produce you can buy in the store was picked days, weeks, eeven months ago, so the few nutrients it had initially are almost all gone due to a process called "senescence", and the vital electromagnetic vibration (life energy) is completely gone. Store-bought fruits and veggies might as well be dead foods, it's no wonder people are doing poorly and struggling on the raw vegan diet. If you want to thrive you need to eat FRESH food, ad there's really only two ways to do that - pick fruit right off the tree/bush and eat it immediately/pick weeds and juice them immediately, or grow sprouts. I do all three (weed juice is amazingly nutritious, loaded with rare trace minerals and an amazing tonic), but sprouting is definitely the easiest of the three and anyone can do it.

Date: January 19, 2013 11:21PM

Wow, Living Food. What an amazing amount of information. Thank you sooo much! You say that everyone should have 24 oz of sprout juice per day. Wow! That's ALOT of sprouts! How much sprouts would it take to get the 24oz of juice? I'm not ready to do this quite yet, but would love to at least start doing some sprouting.

I get almost all of my produce organic at the Farmer's Market so am blessed that way.

I am sure that I will be looking back over all of this info a few times over. You say with each seed or nut to first soak and then sprout. How do you mean? Would you first soak by immersion? and then what? Do you then strain all of the water off and lay the seeds out somewhere??....ON something???

Thank you for being willing to take the time to share all of this great info!

Mindy

Date: January 19, 2013 11:55PM

mindy66 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How much sprouts
> would it take to get the 24oz of juice?

Depends on the size of your trays/jars. I prefer microgreens grown on trays, but during the winter time I'll be more dependent on jar sprouts because they're quicker to grow and everything slows down during winter. But even more, it depends on your juicer and how long you grow the sprouts. So for example, I can get around 8 oz of juice from a 10 x 10 tray of wheatgrass, but a less experienced juicer, someone with a less efficient juicer, or someone using a smaller tray would get less. I also get around 8 oz of juice from 3 tbsp alfalfa sprouts (before soaking and sprouting), but again what you get may be slightly different. Best to experiment and see for yourself.

> I'm not
> ready to do this quite yet, but would love to at
> least start doing some sprouting.

It is best to start slowly, otherwise you risk getting overwhelmed. Just start with a few jars and slowly add more as you feel ready, and eventually start growing microgreens in trays. Nothing beats the microgreens, especially wheatgrass. I have a tray of wheatgrass everyday for breakfast followed by a shot of AFA algae and it sends you to the moon.

> Would you first soak by immersion?

Yes.

> and then what? Do you then strain all of the water off and
> lay the seeds out somewhere??....ON something???

If you are growing sprouts in jars (the recommended method for beginners), you can soak them in the jars, rinse them in the jars through the mesh lid, and then turn them at a slight angle to let them drain until the next rinsing. All of this is done without having to remove the sprouts from the jars until they're ready to eat. Microgreens and certain sprouts need to be treated differently, but most sprouts can be grown using the above method. It all sounds overwhelming, but once you start to actually do it it becomes very easy and second nature.

-------------
Sprout juice is an acquired taste, and people tend to find it quite nasty at first. But stick with it and you'll soon start seeing major benefits, absolutely nothing gives you the level of health and vitality as drinking 24-32 oz of sprout juice a day because it's soooo high in nutrients and electromagnetic vibration (very very important).

Date: January 19, 2013 11:59PM

I briefly mentioned how sprouts have the highest levels of plant hormones. It doesn't sound all that impressive, but plant hormones have major effects on our health. This paper explains the benefits of only a few hormones, but sprouts have thousands, most or all of which positively impact the body in some way. Science will never catch up with nature or the complexity of natural foods, that's why multivitamins are crap.

"Beneficial Effects of Plant Hormones to Human Health

By: Heda Belle Decrito, RN

Plant hormones or Phytohormones are organic compounds that are synthesized in a particular part of a plant and then conveyed to other parts. Even in low concentration, phytohormones are able to regulate the growth and development of plants, as well as affect their ability to differentiate cells and tissues. Phytohormones affect the plants' ability to respond to environmental stimuli. They are also responsible for the plants' longevity and death, time of flowering, as well as in the development and ripening of fruit. Plant hormones are abundant in embryonic plant tissues and not in mature plant cells.

Like plants, the human body also produces hormones and enzymes. In people and vertebrate animals, hormones act as chemical messengers that are utilized by the endocrine, nervous, and immune systems to convey unseen electrical impulses and chemical signals that would facilitate communication within a cell or between cell and/or among system organs. Hormones and enzymes also regulate body functions, control human behavior and integrate systemic functions – nervous, immune and endocrine systems, etc.

Plants cannot benefit from human hormones; however, plant hormones can do wondrous health effects to human health. Laboratory findings show that plant hormones can stimulate human immune cells that boost the body's natural defense against stressors and diseases. There are three types of plant hormones that have shown promising benefits to us humans - Plant Growth Hormone (PGH), Plant Stress Hormone (PSH) and Plant Immune Hormone (PIH).

Plant Growth Hormone

As the name suggests, plant growth hormone regulates plant growth and development. There are 4 plant growth hormones with known beneficial effects to humans – Gibberellins, Auxins, Brassinosteroids, and Cytokinins.

Gibberellins (GAs) are plant growth hormones that are found mainly in the buds and young shoots. When extracted from these embryonic plant parts and incorporated in PSC therapy, gibberellins are able to offer numerous health benefits. GAs stimulate RNA and Protein synthesis. Gibberellic acid also aids in drainage, a process characterized as detoxification by means of organ stimulation, tissue excitation and toxins elimination.

Auxins are plant growth hormones that are involved plant-cell elongation. A well-known natural auxin extracted from plants is Indole Acetic Acid (IAA). Research shows that auxins have fetal hormonal action. They also stimulate cellular growth and provide better resistance to disease. The IAA in auxins acts as an antiinflammatory and helps tissue to regenerate. Also, when used in combination with the plant enzyme peroxidase, Indole Acetic Acid can produce byproducts that are toxic to cancer cells, yet harmless to healthy cells.

Another plant growth hormone is Cytokinin. Cytokinins provide protection to the cells as they undergo cell division (mitosis). DNA is constantly copied as the cells undergo division. Cytokinins prevent the mistranslation of the DNA molecules during the replication phase, making each cell a mirror image of the other divided cell. Cytokinins are also known to inhibit senescence. They can slow down the aging process by inhibiting the breakdown of proteins through the stimulation of RNA and protein synthesis.

Brassinosteroids are similar to animal steroids in many respects. However, at the cellular level, they appear to function differently. The most abundant brassinosteroid found in plants is Brassinolide, which was first isolated from the pollen of Brassica Napus. Brassinolide can act synergistically with auxins gibberellins and other hormones. Brassinosteroids are used safely and successfully for lowering serum cholesterol levels.

Plant Stress Hormone (PSH)

Plant stress hormones are responsible for activating the plants cellular response to diverse stress situations, including cell death. They are made in the cells of the plants that are faced with a massive scarcity of nutrients. Abscisic acid, ethylene, Jasmonic acid and salicylates are the most common PSHs that have shown positive health effects to humans. Researchers have found that these plant stress hormones, like any other anticancer hormones, have the ability to adversely affect human cancer cells.

Jasmonic acid suppresses and destroys major types of human cancer cells. Jasmonic acid is helpful in preventing and treating vaginal and/or reproductive problems in mammalian females. Jasmonates facilitate the renewal of the regressing vaginal mucosa and prevent vaginal wall dryness.

Plant Immune Hormone (PIH)

Plant immune hormones are organic compounds that trigger the plant's immune response to bacterial, fungal and viral infections. Some of the most common PIHs are Salicylates, Auxins and Jasmonic acid. Salicylic acid is the primary immune hormone found in plants, which have antipyretic and antiinflammatory properties.

Acceleration of wound healing and rehabilitation following injury and reversal of biological and physical effects of aging are just some of the numerous benefits that plant hormones have to give. Plant hormones also reverse muscle wasting, improve vision kidney, liver and other organ function, improve memory retention and other cognitive factors, reduces stress and enhances the immune system, as well as promote tighter, younger and more supple skin.

Contrary to Human Growth Hormones, which pose the risk of cancer, embryonic plant extracts do not pose such risk. Nor will it affect the function of the pituitary gland as in the use of human growth hormone."

All of these are present in abundant amounts in sprouts but very low levels in the mature plant.

Date: January 22, 2013 01:02AM

Mindy,

Browsing this forum I've noticed you talking about a lot of health problems and even enquiring about the 80/10/10 diet...don't you remember all the things we talked about on the natmedtalk forum? I was hoping you would have taken my suggestions to heart and be feeling much better by now. sad smiley

Date: January 23, 2013 12:19AM

Living Food,

I wondered if that was you! Glad to "see" you again.

After reading all that you told me, I was, in fact, very impressed by it but still very much in a research mode, working my way slowly, very slowly towards eating raw. I had desire long before I actually began implementing a raw diet.

While I admire your commitment to what you eat, I am not ready to embrace sproutatarianism. I have a hard time eating sprouts to begin with because, sadly, I do not like the taste of them. I have been adding some organic sprouts (got at Farmer's Mkt) to me juices this week, though. Besides me not liking the taste, I am not physically at a place where I can start doing all it takes to start sprouting. Hard to even think clearly most of the time. Therefore, I am doing what is absolutely radical in comparison with what I was previously eating (SAD diet) by going all raw. Because I am so unwell, I have to take very gradual steps, although jumping in to all raw was not so gradual. ha. I am doing a very very simple raw food diet, in that I am eating whole fruits and leafy veggies and consuming 2 fresh juices per day.

I was also taking Spirulina daily before even starting the raw diet, but then read an article (I think from David Klein) that explained why it is not a good idea to take algaes, so I quit.

Not sure I'll ever be ready to be a complete sproutatarian as you are, however, once I am much more well, I will be learning how to and doing some of my own sprouting. If I cannot eat them, then I will juice them.

One day at a time.

By the way, your insight and help has been very appreciated.

Mindy

Date: February 03, 2013 10:51PM

You should definitely be taking algae daily. Lots of people talk down on algae by saying it's contaminated with microcysts, or bacteria, or heavy metals, etc. And maybe the poor quality bands do have these problems, but good quality algae supplements don't and have lots of nutrients you can't get anywhere else. Chlorella, spirulina and AFA have all been studied extensively and the results are astonishing. I'm actaully just starting a thread on them, I'll link to it here.

----------
What you need is some good cleansing. I'll talk about that in more detail later.

Date: February 03, 2013 11:29PM

I'm actaully just starting a thread on them, I'll link to it here.

I lost my entire post so I'll do it some other time. But I'll give you a couple quick ones on spirulina here:

"Spirulina, a filamentous cyanobacterium, possesses diverse biological activities and nutritional significance due to high concentration of natural nutrients, having bio-modulatory and immuno-modulatory functions. Different Spirulina preparations influence immune system viz. increase phagocytic activity of macrophages, stimulating the production of antibodies and cytokines, increase accumulation of NK cells into tissue and activation and mobilization of T and B cells. Spirulina have also shown to perform regulatory role on lipid and carbohydrate metabolism by exhibiting glucose and lipid profile correcting activity in experimental animals and in diabetic patients. Preparations have been found to be active against several enveloped viruses including herpes virus, cytomegalovirus, influenza virus and HIV. They are capable to inhibit carcinogenesis due to anti-oxidant properties that protect tissues and also reduce toxicity of liver, kidney and testes."[Khan Z et al, Nutritional and therapeutic potential of Spirulina. Curr Pharm Biotechnol.2005 Oct;6(5):373-9]

"In this review information of Spirulina platensis (SP), a blue-green alga (photosynthesizing cyanobacterium) having diverse biological activity is presented. Due to high content of highly valuable proteins, indispensable amino acids, vitamins, beta-carotene and other pigments, mineral substances, indispensable fatty acids and polysaccharides, PS has been found suitable for use as bioactive additive. SP produces an immunostimulating effect by enhancing the resistance of humans, mammals, chickens and fish to infections, the capacity of influencing hemopoiesis, stimulating the production of antibodies and cytokines. Under the influence of SP macrophages, T and B cells are activated. SP sulfolipids have proved to be effective against HIV. Preparations obtained from SP biomass have also been found active against herpesvirus, cytomegalovirus, influenza virus, etc. SP extracts are capable in inhibiting cancerogenesis. SP preparations are regarded as functional products contributing to the preservation of the resident intestinal microflora, especially lactic acid bacilli and bifidobacteria, and to a decrease in the level of Candida albicans." [Blinkova LP et al Biological activity of Spirulina
Zh Mikrobiol Epidemiol Immunobiol. 2001 Mar-Apr;(2):114-8]

Date: February 04, 2013 06:05PM

Technically they're scientific papers, not studies, but the point is they summarize many of the benefits shown by dozens of different studies (there are many more benefits too though).

Date: February 16, 2013 02:06AM

I do have Spirulina.

I did get a bit freaked out when I read that I should not be taking it. I believe that I was on David Klein's website at the time.

Things can get so stinkin confusing! But, I march on and forward!

Thanks LF!

Mindy

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: February 20, 2013 09:33AM

www.sproutpeople.com is a great sight for sprouting info smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: February 22, 2013 08:44PM

Thanks Jodi!

Mindy

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables