Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

dark spots on sprouted chickpeas?
Posted by: octern ()
Date: February 14, 2013 10:12PM

Hello, all! I'm a newbie at sprouting and I recently ran into a situation on which I thought I'd better get expert advice.

On my third or fourth batch of sprouted chickpeas, I found several that have dark spots on them (image here).

I'm wondering whether this is natural for this kind of bean or whether they're unsafe to eat. If they're unsafe, should I just pick out the ones with spots, or does it indicate the whole batch may have gone bad? I'd rather play it safe at this point... Many thanks for your advice.

Re: dark spots on sprouted chickpeas?
Posted by: octern ()
Date: February 24, 2013 04:23PM

Oops! I thought I was subscribed to this thread, but apparently not.

I have been using cheesecloth as a screen, and it does seem to stay wet longer than I'd ideally like. However, the chickpeas aren't in contact with it for that long. I'd like to get something more permanent anyway, so I'll look into a more sanitary screen. Thanks!

Posted by: Suz ()
Date: February 20, 2016 05:56PM

Hi there, did you get any answers to your questions as I have noticed the same problem

Posted by: benkrichardson ()
Date: February 21, 2016 01:20PM

Hi Suz, I cannot state whether the dark spots are or are not indicative of spoilage but I can say that I have been sprouting chickpeas continuously for 6 months and have never observed these spots.

I use a Biosnacky 3 Tier Sprouter and ensure full drainage after each watering.

If I saw such dark spots on my chickpeas and like the OP, had the chickpeas in contact with a damp cloth for extended periods then I would be concerned that the spots indicated mold or fungal growth.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables