Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Hybrid Fruits and Vegetables
Posted by: mindy66 ()
Date: February 18, 2013 10:25PM

Hi All,

I have read that it is not such a good idea to eat carrots, potatoes and even beets because they are all hybridized. sad smiley I have carrots daily and beets 2-3 times per week. Yikes!

Is also recommended that we avoid any seedless fruit as they are all hybrids. That I kinda knew. Even biblical really. The original design before Adam and Eve screwed things up. ha! or not so ha.

Then God said, “Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the surface of all the earth, and every tree which has fruit yielding seed; it shall be food for you; and to every beast of the earth and to every bird of the sky and to every thing that moves on the earth which has life, I have given every green plant for food”; and it was so. Genesis 1: 29 & 30

Anyone know how in the world we can find non-hybrid produce and be assured that it is just that?

Does Heirloom always mean non-hybrid???

Thanks

Mindy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hybrid Fruits and Vegetables
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: February 20, 2013 09:37AM

dont confuse hybrids with GMO's (genetically modified) .. two totally different things .. hybrids are just crosses of the same types of plants generally for better results... GMO's are plants crosses with entirely different speices of plants, animals and organisms

hybrids can and usually do yeild seeds .. just the seeds dont always give you the same results of the parent plant you took it from .

some hybrids are are crossed to produce little or no seeds

heirloom doesnt always meen non-hybrid

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: vermontnl ()
Date: February 20, 2013 05:11PM

Hi Mindy,

Heirloom usually means non-hybrid. Many,even, organic growers are growing out hybrid seed. Personally I do not like it either. So, one needs to know the variety name to know if the crop is from open pollinated seed. When one buys food from a store, including co-ops, etc., the variety name is often not listed. Apples and other fruit are named because many are grafted varieties onto another root stock and many are familiar with the qualities associated with that name .

Likely Kale is from an OP variety: Red Russian, White Russian, and Lacinato (Italian, Black, Dinosaur). So are a lot of lettuces.

Posted by: mindy66 ()
Date: February 22, 2013 08:43PM

I have been learning a bit more on Seed Savers Exchange. Great info there too.

Eventually, I'd like to be able to save my seeds and grow again the next season and be able to get the exact same veggie as I got the seed from. Just tryin to plan ahead for the future. In the uncertain times, I'd like to start learning much more about sustainable living. I know very very little thus far, but am learning.

Thanks y'all for your feedback!

And yes I know that GMO's are flat out, just evil!

smiling smiley

Mindy

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables