Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Wanting to start a Worm Farm
Posted by: mindy66 ()
Date: February 22, 2013 08:47PM

Hi All,

I am wanting to start a worm farm.

We have an old washing machine tub out back that we'd planned on turning into a firepit, however, I think we would be better served using it as a worm farm, IF, in fact, it would work well. WHICH, is why I've come here...to ask y'all if you think it would be a good idea to do so.

Ours looks alot like this one:
[farm9.staticflickr.com]

We live where it gets VERY hot in the summer so am concerned about the metal getting too hot for the worms.

Any ideas??

Thanks you guys!

Mindy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wanting to start a Worm Farm
Posted by: Living Food ()
Date: February 23, 2013 11:32PM

All about vermicomposting: [journeytoforever.org]

^ The entire site is a great resource on all things organic + sustainable. I'm especially fond of the "Small Farms Library": [journeytoforever.org]

Posted by: mindy66 ()
Date: March 03, 2013 07:03AM

Thanks LF!!

Mindy

Posted by: PaulaBlanch ()
Date: March 10, 2013 02:40AM

Our family recently started an indoor worm farm. Our red wigglers have been happily munching our food scraps for about 2 weeks and I am amazed by how much they put away. I've been posting my experiences about it on my blog at: theurbanhomesteadproject.blogspot.com/

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: March 12, 2013 02:24AM

the drum would be great as long as you put it in a shady area or north side of house if possible smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: raw artist ()
Date: May 15, 2013 03:29AM

Hi mindy66, I've raised red wrigglers & they've done well. This time I'm going to start a bed of Alabama Jumpers (sometimes called georgia jumpers).They are a lot stronger than red wrigglers at pushing through the soil & aerating it. Make sure to keep yours out of full sun & if you ever run low on produce for them (like maybe in winter), then just sprinkle on a little corn meal & don't forget to sprinkle on a little water. Bye for now.

Posted by: Living Food ()
Date: May 15, 2013 02:51PM

An educational paper on vermicomposting: [aces.nmsu.edu]

Earthworms are the most important creature on Earth for building and maintaining soil fertility. It's a shame that the worms you use for vermicomposting aren't really suitable for living in normal garden soil (and vice versa). Hence one should also strive to attract earthworms to your soil as well as produce worm castings via vermicomposting, because having earthworms living in your soil provides many more benefits then just their castings.

just sprinkle on a little corn meal

Non-GMO cornmeal, I hope. You can even use newspaper and cardboard.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables