Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Smaller tomato plants in containers
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: August 22, 2013 02:01AM

I didn't do my community garden this year as in the past two years but I do have four tomato plants in containers. One is not huge but it is caged in a medium-sized container and has six tomatoes forming. I am not concerned about that one because we have weeks left of warm weather. The other ones are shorter and it's not sunny all day long so I am thinking that they will not get a chance to fruit. One has flowered even though it's so short. I don't know how tall a tomato plant has to be to fruit.

We had weird weather this year: lots of rain and then a very cool July (I think I wore a sweater or hoodie on the Fourth!) and it just hasn't been as warm as I know tomatoes thrive in.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Smaller tomato plants in containers
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 22, 2013 09:50PM

If you at least get some green ones they can ripen up on a window sill. Might not be as tasty but still homegrown!

Date: August 23, 2013 09:37PM

coco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you at least get some green ones they can ripen
> up on a window sill. Might not be as tasty but
> still homegrown!

But do you think that stunted plants will actually fruit? I have two that are so short yet flowering. I have no idea about what it takes to produce tomatoes--if they have to be a certain height or not. I would think that as long as they are able to flower, then there is a chance they will bear fruit. smiling smiley But I know nothing of this whole thing.

I heard something very cool about green tomatoes. Supposedly it's an old trick. If it is getting near frost and you still have a bunch of tomatoes on the vine that have not ripened, you pick them green, wrap them in newspaper and stick them under your bed. And then at Christmas you have ripe tomatoes! LOL! smiling smiley

Date: August 24, 2013 02:10AM

I think if they flower they could fruit, why not? You can ripen a few things by putting them into a paper bag or wrapping in newspaper. Tomatoes, bananas and apples emit ethylene gas as they ripen. Trapped inside a bag, the gas will accelerate the ripening process.

Date: August 30, 2013 01:25AM

I just can't imagine stunted plants producing fruit, even if they are flowering! But maybe it just affects yield.

It's funny because I am watching their progress and they seem to have taken off in the last few days. smiling smiley It's because it has been so hot and was so unseasonably cool earlier in August. These are supposed to be the dog days, after all...

Tomatoes love heat. And we got it like that at the moment.

Date: August 30, 2013 04:44PM

Oh ya, it's hot and humid like crazy right here now too. Even when it's overcast it's incredibly warm. I am a sweaty frizzy haired mess.
Best of luck with the tomats, hopefully they'll produce something at least.

Date: August 30, 2013 11:39PM

I have a very small plant (less than six inches tall) and it flowered and I now see a wittle itsy bitsy tomato. LOL

Date: September 01, 2013 09:24PM

Today I was in a cafe in Chicago and it's a very urban gritty 'hood. In other words, not many green spaces at all. And they had a patio with raised beds of caged tomatoes and I thought to myself: yes, you can do this sort of thing even atop gravel and cement. smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables