Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

ground breaking for a garden
Posted by: Carlos ()
Date: October 01, 2013 05:24PM

I want to start a garden in my backyard which is full of grass and weeds. Can any one give me some tips on how best to totally clear out all the grass, weeds and their roots (no chemicals) in order to start a clear, clean garden bed?

Re: ground breaking for a garden
Posted by: vermontnl ()
Date: October 10, 2013 06:07PM

What I would do this fall is to cover the area with newspaper or boxboard and then cover with compost and leaves or straw. Then in the spring I would turn it all in unless I was going to do a no-till garden. In spring after planting and the soil has warmed I would mulch well with straw to keep the weeds down.

Posted by: autumn-vegan ()
Date: August 20, 2015 02:26PM

This is what I am doing at my home! I have turned much of my yard into an edible landscape. It was, prior to this, a mix of icky weeds. You will need a sharp hoe and pitchfork, as well as a rototiller. I clear small patches with the hoe, then turn them over/remove deeper roots with the pitchfork. Larger areas call for renting a rototiller, or buying one. Like the above commenter mentioned, mulching it down is also helpful. You can cover the whole area in something like a tarp or sheet, this will kill off any weeds. Definitely amend your soil with organic matter. Best of all, send for a test kit and have your soil evaluated! I've got clay soil. It needs things to break up the clay, like sand.

Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: January 05, 2016 08:57PM

. Best of all, send for a test kit and have your soil evaluated! I've got clay soil. It needs things to break up the clay, like sand.

I am not sure that adding sand is always the way to go. Organic matter, either already broken down, or at least party so, may be more suitable, though I am hardly an expert.

If you wish to be patient, you could just plant a thick crop of, say, long radishes in your patch, let them mature, then rot, then rototill or dig the whole mess in. You will end up with lovely, well-draining soil.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables