Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

recomended daily dose for sprouts?
Posted by: Sara ()
Date: August 02, 2015 10:23AM

Hi guys, I have been sprouting for about 2 weeks now and I am hooked, I love it! I'm eating about 2 big handfuls of various sprouts daily in smoothies and sandwiches. My question is, Is it dangerous to eat too many sprouts? I don't eat a lot of vegetables and so I'm hoping sprouts will fill that lack in my diet. Is there such a thing as too much sprouts? I am using the handy pantry giant bucket of seeds. Looking forward to your opinions here. thanks. smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: recomended daily dose for sprouts?
Posted by: benkrichardson ()
Date: February 21, 2016 02:21PM

Hi Sara,

There is a scarcity of information about the actual nutrient content within sprouts. As much for my own reference, I have created a Pinterest Board mainly populated with information about Sprout Nutrition. It is kept free from hyperbole smiling smiley

My opinion and understanding is -

1. Sprouts very often contain *relatively* higher levels of micro-nutrients than seeds or, gram for gram, mature plants but in absolute terms the content is low making any form of excess intake from consuming sprouts very unlikely or impossible

2. In contrast to supplements and processed extracts from foods it is extremely uncommon for it to be possible to consume toxic levels of micro-nutrients from whole foods. There are *some* notable examples, such as vitamin A from liver, selenium from brazil nuts and heavy metals like cadmium from some crops grown in soil that contains very high levels of those metals.

3. I consume close to 2 x full 3-tier Biosnacky germinator trays of sprouts each week and record all my food consumption on the awesome diet tracking tool, CRON-O-Meter. I am not overdosing on anything due to sprouts.

One risk I have seen reported on is the presence of pathogenic bacteria within sprouts, particularly e.coli and salmonella. Based on US and Euro reports food poisoning appears to traced to Alfalfa sprouts in particular and NutritionFacts.Org caution against Alfalfa sprouts for this reason.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables