Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

First time broccoli seed sprouting, help! :-)
Posted by: benkrichardson ()
Date: January 11, 2016 09:05PM

Howdy sprouters!

I've been happily sprouting aduki & mung beans, lentils, garbanzos and alfalfa for several months in a 3 Tier Biosnacky sprouter.

This week I am trying for the first time broccoli sprouts, partly because I like to try new things, partly because of this Dr. Gregor video.

However a fuzzy white growth has appeared on the tails of the broccoli sprouts and this is outside of my experience and I'm unsure whether this is safe and normal or indicating unsafe mold growth.

Opinions, apprentice, journeyman and expert welcome, should I enjoy munching on these or throw them?

Sprouting History for these Seeds

~ Soaked for 12 hours in filtered water prior to transfer to sprouter
~ Watering twice daily since with full drainage immediately following
~ Kept out of direct sunlight in a room around 21c / 70f
~ Picture below were taken after 3 days

Picture

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2016 09:05PM by benkrichardson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: First time broccoli seed sprouting, help! :-)
Date: January 14, 2016 12:20PM

Replying because I have a bit of an answer to my own question -

First, I found this blogger's description of sprouting broccoli seeds with pictures showing the same fuzzy white growth on the sprouts.

[www.carrieonliving.com]#

There is Q&A where the blogger, Carrie, asserts that the growth is not harmful or unusual.

Second, I have consumed the broccoli sprouts pictured above and observed no ill effects. They were also rather nice, spicy thumbs down

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: January 16, 2016 06:56PM

Yes, I used to freak out about that fuzzy stuff too grinning smiley You learn quickly to differentiate between the two. The fuzzy stuff is nice and perky but mold just looks evil haha. Your sprouts look very pretty smiling smiley

Broccoli sprouts are awesome, there's so much research out there on their anti-cancer properties. And they are really hardy & easy to sprout.

I have been trying out the Victoria sprouter recently, I think I prefer it so much more than the Biosnacky! Gonna do a review on them soon in my newsletter.

Free Newsletter: [bit.ly]
Facebook: [www.facebook.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Blog: [RawFoodScotland.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2016 06:57PM by lisa m.

Date: January 17, 2016 09:14AM

lisa m Wrote:

> I have been trying out the Victoria sprouter
> recently, I think I prefer it so much more than
> the Biosnacky! Gonna do a review on them soon in
> my newsletter.

Color me very interested to learn why lisa. I find the Biosnacky reliably effective but what is a little frustrating is that the drainage system often requires some assistance. I find with small seeds like alfalfa and now broccoli they clog the drainage filters and water doesn't flow until I tilt or shake the sprouter or stir the seeds away. It only takes a little extra time but it does mean I cannot simply pour water and return minutes later to empty the bottom vessel, instead I need to intervene once or twice.

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: January 17, 2016 06:42PM

Yes! that's what annoys me about them too! Those little red drainers get lost, I even managed to juice one by accident once eye rolling smiley

If you sign up for my newsletter at [rawfoodscotland.us2.list-manage2.com] you'll get notified when I make a post, I should be doing the sprouter review soon, the next one will probably be about water kefir though grinning smiley

Free Newsletter: [bit.ly]
Facebook: [www.facebook.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Blog: [RawFoodScotland.co.uk]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables