Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Raw Sprouts and e coli
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 28, 2007 08:28PM

I love raw sprouts and sprout them in 2 different easy sprouters. As a primarily raw foodist these are essential to my diet. I had heard not to eat raw sprouts but I figured that was due to handling in restaurants and stores. Now I read and understand that the problem is in the seed - that they often become contaminated by bacteria from cow manure - hence the e-coli. Is there a particular place one can purchase certified "clean" seed? This worries me greatly as one main reason we went raw was due to intestinal problems my husband suffered from for years. He surley can't take any set backs from contaminated seed.

I sure would appreciate any information from those of you who are up on this - most of the artilces I read were from several years ago, yet I never read anything that concluded they were safe.

THANKS! This is my first post!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Raw Sprouts and e coli
Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: February 12, 2007 03:16AM

Sproutpeople.com might have some tips. Not sure though.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 26, 2007 12:19AM

I take a bottle of purified water and add one drop of lemon essential oil to it, shake it well and then rinse my seeds and sprouts with this water. You can experiment with other essential oils (but read the description of the oil carefully), But only use one tiny drop of the essential oil to say 16-20 ounces of water for rinsing. Use at your own descretion, For information only.

Posted by: mira ()
Date: February 04, 2008 06:16AM

ive heard that... but im not really scared though, i think i have more chances of being contaminated if i eat meat or just a simple prepared meal full of sh...
But i do add about a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar when i soak them...just in case

Posted by: Marley_Star ()
Date: February 20, 2008 04:55AM

Hi, Minny! smiling smiley)

First of all, I think the suggestion of contacting Sproutpeople is a good one. Search the website and you will find tons of info on sprouting; I haven't read their solutions for things like e.coli, but I know they are experts on sprouting.

Here's my method:

I use a few drops of Nutribiotic GSE (Grapefruit Seed Extract) all-purpose liquid concentrate in the water for soaking and rinsing my sprouts, and I use it in my wheatgrass water to prevent mold. I first learned of using GSE from Pamela Free's website at [www.growwheatgrass.com]

From her website I found the link to Nutribiotic, where you can order the concentrate(the first product on that page is the 4 oz. size I use):

[www.nutriteam.com]

If you search their site, you will find the story of the discovery of GSE as a non-toxic, environmentally safe solution for countless health applications, and how plants can be protected naturally with GSE (keep in mind that when you read the name "Citricidal", that they are referring to the professional grower's strength of GSE).

There are also many pages on that site about how GSE can help with intestinal problems such as candida, oral infections, female candida problems, and the list goes on and on.

I'm still reading pages from that site, amazed at the benefits of GSE. I've just started drinking 5-10 in a glass of water each day as an intestinal cleanser.

Good luck with your search...

Cheers! Marley

Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: March 10, 2008 01:45AM

Big Brother wants you to buy super processed, irradiated, chlorinated food... to be safe.

:/

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables