Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

damn my wheatberries actually sprouted...
Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: February 08, 2007 08:19AM

A couple weeks ago I soaked some wheatberries and rinsed and drained a few times for a few days. They wern't doing anything and I got annoyed and forgot about them. Just looked in the container today and they have like 1/2 inch sprout coming out of them.

They're kind of dry though. I'm guessing they're useless now anyway.

So guess I did it right? What was I supposed to do next? Normal to see sprouts weeks later or what? What kind of dirt are you supposed to use to grow wheatgrass anyway? I'm still confused on this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2007 08:20AM by LikeItOrNot.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: damn my wheatberries actually sprouted...
Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: February 12, 2007 03:13AM

I am not sure what you are supposed to do but why don't you just plant them in a pot and take what you need when they are ready?
As for the dirt, I think that normal potting soil should do the trick. Organic if you can get it.
My two cents.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: February 14, 2007 03:09AM

Sure. You can just spout without soil if you are going to eat them or grind them. But if you want wheatgrass, then you have to use some kind of medium. Regular garden soil will work just fine. Wheatgrass is very forgiving!

-David Z. Mason

Posted by: Marley_Star ()
Date: February 17, 2007 05:18AM

Hi! smiling smiley)

I am currently using organic soil to grow my wheatgrass, but I am going to change to a non-soil medium soon. Many growers use a hydroponic medium, and there are some inexpensive options out there for that. If you have a hydroponic supply store in your area, call them and ask what they would recommend.

Here is a page online from a very good site by Pamela Free that covers the issue:
Grow Wheatgrass- Soil VS. Hydroponic Method

I bought her e-book on the five secrets of growing wheatgrass; it helped me out quite a bit.

I will make a post soon with links for all of the websites I've researched to learn about growing wheatgrass.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables