Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

buckwheat sprouts toxic?
Posted by: debbie ()
Date: March 14, 2007 11:04AM

i read the previous post about buckwheat greens being toxic but would like to know if the same applies to one or 2 day old sprouts? i've just discovered them and really like the taste!!
thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: buckwheat sprouts toxic?
Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: March 16, 2007 12:19PM

If it's something rawgetarian whatever his name is.. Ignore him like most of us do. He lacks credibility.

You can probably find more info about them on here:
[www.sproutpeople.com]

Personally I think if it were "toxic" in anyway, my animals wouldn't eat them. They have plenty of choices and the buckwheat groats get eaten just as fast as everything else.

Posted by: debbie ()
Date: March 17, 2007 09:07AM

thankyou, that's good to hear

Posted by: alive! ()
Date: March 27, 2007 04:58AM

Buckwheat greens can be toxic, but only if you're juicing them (large amounts). If you're eating them in salads and other dishes, you're OK. (Many foods can be toxic when overconsumed. Even parsley.) The best idea is to keep a large variety of foods in your diet - don't fall into the bad habit of eating the same few items day after day.

Life Is Good!

alive!

Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: April 02, 2007 11:16PM

According to Wikipedia buckwheat greens are toxic but does not say why. It also mentions that the sprouts are eaten though. Hmm... I think I remember someone saying that the juice of a certain grass made him sick. Might have been buckwheat.

Posted by: cy ()
Date: April 18, 2007 01:48AM

I just bought some buckwheat for www.sproutpeople.com ,and I hope nothing happens with me. I want to try it a long time,and let see.Thank you all for the information.

Date: June 03, 2009 06:19PM

Right, it's apparently the green parts that contain the toxin. I was eating up to a pound of buckwheat greens every day in my smoothies, and started developing symptoms of fagopyrism (i.e., photosensitivity due to eating buckwheat greens) within a couple of weeks. If the groats are only minimally sprouted (until the tail is as long as the groat, say), they should be OK, but if you want to play it extra safe, you could be careful to keep them in darkness (sprout them in a cupboard, say). I plan to try that.

The symptom that enabled me to finally diagnose my own problem (where doctors had failed) was that my skin would turn red if it was exposed to direct sunlight EVEN THROUGH A WINDOW!!!

Here's a link to the most helpful article I've found on the subject: [www.gillesarbour.com].

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables