Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Growing Tomatoes in Sea Water!!
Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: March 23, 2007 11:26AM

I know, I know. This should be in the gardening forum; but if I put that there first, no one is going to see it! LOL!

Basically the article says that growing tomatoes using some sea water produces tomatoes with a higher concentration of antioxidants.

The link is:

[www.livescience.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Growing Tomatoes in Sea Water!!
Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: March 23, 2007 01:26PM

very interesting

Posted by: llulu ()
Date: March 23, 2007 03:34PM

The article seems to suggest a 10% sea water solution. Can't wait to try it. I live near salt water marshes and bay, and I'm thinking of getting a water sample tested to see how clean the water is before using it this spring in the garden.

Posted by: TroySantos ()
Date: March 24, 2007 05:29PM

Is sea water too salty for soil bacteria to survive? I am really curious.

This way is not compatible with Zen practice. This way IS Zen practice. - Dr. Doug Graham

Nothing whatsoever should be attached to. - Buddha

Posted by: oneSource ()
Date: March 24, 2007 10:28PM

I've also heard that it increases the amount of minerals in the produce, so it's supposed to be good, esp for children to get their minerals. I don't remember where I read that though...

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: March 25, 2007 12:01AM

im gonna try this out in a seperate tomato bed this year .. i live close to the ocean so i could haul a few 5 gallon buckets at a time to test it out smiling smiley neat article ..thank you

Posted by: TroySantos ()
Date: March 25, 2007 01:16AM

I have been living about 200 meters from the ocean for about six months. When I arrived I asked someone with experience if it's good to use ocean water for watering the plants. He answered that the wind supplies plenty of ocean water! This is a windy place and I've noticed recently that the flowers on the vegetables do taste quite salty. I've not tasted the soil directly.

I'm not saying don't try this on soil. I just think that myself, I'd be careful before starting it out. Some people use salt as a way to "sterilize" the soil for a while. I have no idea what concentration of salt they use in the water.

Just my comments on what I actually think is a neat idea.

This way is not compatible with Zen practice. This way IS Zen practice. - Dr. Doug Graham

Nothing whatsoever should be attached to. - Buddha

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 17, 2007 01:26PM

ocean growers

When in Fl I met Don Jansen who trained under I think under Manord Murry who wrote the book Sea Energy. Don was into raw foods and came to many of our potlucks and events. At one time he had a 40 acre hydroponic farm outdoors fed by ocean water. That was years ago. I saw his backyard hydroponic sea water system. A green house with stainless steel troughs 3 ft off the ground filled with gravel and fed by a 600 gallon tank of diluted ocean water. He had all kinds of produce growing. I sampled all of it. All the best tasting ever. He had his wheat grass anylised and it had 92 elements in it. The sweetest ever by everyone who tasted it. This is what I will do someday. There is another newer good book out on the subject. I can get the name. I have read both books. The solution is very dilute, it doesn't take much to get amazing results. Sea water is very similar to blood, every mineral in proper balance.

elnatural

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 19, 2007 08:57PM

Nice! I will definitely be trying this on at least some of my plants this year! Thanks for the post! I've never heard of this before. And now I can put some of this wonderful ocean water to use!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables