Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Fenugreek and Alfalfa, the best sprout methods?
Posted by: mdelano123 ()
Date: March 29, 2007 01:37PM

Hi,

I just wanted advice on the best methods for sprouting Fenugreek and Alfalfa.

thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fenugreek and Alfalfa, the best sprout methods?
Posted by: Monark ()
Date: April 12, 2007 01:10PM

I'm having great success using the Sprout Master system from

www.sprouthouse.com

I soak the seeds in water with a few drops of kelp fertilizer for 4-6 hours, then "plant" them in the sproutmaster. I use 2 trays. I soak 1 Tablespoon of seeds per day - then plant it in 1/4 of the sproutmaster tray. Each day I plant a new square. Then each day I harvest one square of sprouts to use in salads, smoothies, juices, etc...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read the fre*e e-book :
101 Ways to Change the World for Animals
[www.mypowermall.com]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Own your own Power Mall, over 1000 stores - completely FRE*E
Receive rebates on items you already buy anyway....
[www.mypowermall.com]

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 18, 2007 02:58AM

HI! I have recently begun to research raw food diet and am confused about so many things. One thing I read on this website is as follows-any comments?????????

[sitekreator.com]

Sprouting is bad for you in the automatic sprouters. Due to our distributor we cannot mention the names but they are the ones with the automatic watering system that makes sprouts with water only without soil. This is very dangerous especially if growing wheatgrass. They fail to tell you what you are really growing. They fail to tell you about how growing sunflower sprouts or buckweat sprouts or wheatgrass in these automatic sprouters that grow from the misted water is dangerous to eat and lacks what you think you are getting. They fail to mention the Brixxe' level is severely restricted. They fail to tell you many things that we cannot say. Please call us if you want to hear the unbiased truth about why we do not sell these dangerous machines that rawfooders ask us for. Our staff would never touch a sprout or wheatgrass that was grown in one of these machines. We urge anyone that wants to buy a sprouter to call us. We do NOT sell them and are not trying to sell you one. We used to sell them before we learned the truth. Don't fall for the scam!

When you grow sprouts it should be natural. In nature they grow in soil. We grow ours in a thermophillic soil (soil that we make that naturally gets up to 150 degrees due to all the natural bacteria proliferation).

The soil you buy in stores might not have the bacteria in the soil. (Most people try to put kelp or some mineral solution in their electric sprouter. This is just for minerals...not the bacteria...what a joke!)

The baby sprouted greens that grow in nature where they are naturally "wild crafted" have a super strong reproductive energy. The ones in an electric sprouter....well...just think about it and it is easy to figure out?

The best way to grow sprouts is in a Vertical Garden. It is made by Sundance. If you want one of these let us know. The best soil to use is the organic soil you can buy for around 5 dollars for 20 lbs. If you want to learn how to make your own thermo-phillic soil that is alive with aerobic bacteria we can teach how we do it. Ask to book a consultation with Sandy if you want to learn.

Do not misunderstand what we are saying about sprouting. We are not saying that they are good or bad. We know something that we need to share with rawfoodists. Call us at 1800 578 6988. Most people do not buy a sprouter after hearing what we have to say. I have no doubt in my mind that I cannot convince you that you should not use a sprouter for these type of sprouts.

To those that want to start growing sprouts who want high Brixxe value sprouts or who want to use thermophillic "base" soil to start making their own soil.

Posted by: mauiart ()
Date: July 14, 2007 08:49AM

Sorry but that last post kinda sounded like some commercial mumbo jumbo so on that note I grow alfalfas the old fashioned inexpensive way as follows, unlike the way we were traditionally taught.

Soak 1/4 - 1/3 cup per gallon jar alfalfa seeds 4 - 6 hours during a warm day and 8 - 10 hours over nite. This will prevent the seeds from fermenting from the start. If you see little bubbles at the top of the soak water that's already a bad start which leads to sour rotton sprouts. I would just toss those and begin again for the tastiest sprouts. As with all sprouting day times can be shorter than cooler overnite soaking. Overnite or before bedtime soaking is preferable for more successful results esp when you are a beginner. My very most succesful way with alfalfa is to start your soaking about 6 - 8 hours before bedtime. Use a plastic screen from the hardware store as opposed to cheese cloth for better ventilation which is also important for less fermentation and souring of sprouts. To drain, place at a downward angle, for a short while, say in a dish drainer at a 45 degree angle, then hold hand over screen and give a couple downward shakes over the sink to get the last amounts of water out, then lay on their side, which also helps with ventilation as opposed to leaving them upside down in the dish drainer all day and do not water for the first 24 hours. Rotate the jar the second part of the first day instead of watering to redistribute the moisture already in the jar instead of a second watering the first day. From the the second second day on rinse only two times per 24 hours and they will be done in about 3-5 days. When the tail equals about 1/2 inch. At the 3-4 day mark dump all th sprouts onto a very large pot and flood with water. The hulls will float to the top. Scoop out the sprouts with your hand avoiding the spent hulls which you shoud throw out with the bath water and toss the cleaned sprouts into a clean collender to dran and replace them back into your gallon jar, put on the screen and place back in your dish drainer for a few minutes to finish draining. Then hold screen while giving several downwar shakes over your sing to completly remove any residual water and then place on their side in a cool place out of the sun and not in a cupboard though because ventilation is poor there.
Me I don't worry about exposing them to brightlight at the end to turn them green as I feel that makes them tough. I get my greens in other ways, so no worries there.
Aloha, MauiArt

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables