Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

unwelcome diners
Posted by: Kit ()
Date: April 16, 2007 04:37AM

In my vegetable garden I plant some of those plants that I read the Pests dont bother. I have planted marigolds, chives and basil and they have all been chomped on. In fact they ate the basil completely gone. It looks like it's slugs and/or snails.
I want to keep it organic. If any gardeners out there have any wisdom on this I ask for your help.

Thanks, Kit

They ate all my beans too.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: unwelcome diners
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: April 16, 2007 06:05PM

i put lines of salt down my rows or circles of salt around my plants to keep the slugs and snails out.. soon as they touch it they back off an go elsewhere

ive also put out cans of stale beer (top cut off and buried ) beer seems to attract them and then they drown.. im not so much into this anymore as i dont drink as much beer as i used to

i hope gods not a slug

Posted by: Kit ()
Date: April 18, 2007 12:34AM

Jgunn,

Thanks for the suggestions. I have tried beer before but for some reason it didnt seem to do much. But I will try the salt, I know slugs and snails hate it. And it's hard to imagine that god's a slug but I've been wrong before!

Kit

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: April 18, 2007 01:45AM

One for the blackbird, one for the crow, one for the soil and one to grow.

in other words plant more then ya need winking smiley

thats an old nursery rhyme my mom used to say while we planted the garden hehe

anyhooo .. you will go thru a bit of salt so see if ya can find it bulk cheap cuz every time it rains ya gotta put some more out smiling smiley

i suppose you could change it too

one for the slug and one for the crow one for the snails and one to grow !

Posted by: shellydj75 ()
Date: April 19, 2007 01:20PM

Werid about the basil.... I have a dill plant, right in the middle, as it grows fash and tall, plus the flowering portions will fall in the soil. I don't cook with much dill, and don't even take much time to cut and dry, though this has kept my harden free of snails.

Posted by: Dulset ()
Date: May 04, 2007 03:45PM

If you put crushed eggshell pieces around the plant they will not cross because they can't take the sharp edges of the eggshells.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 14, 2007 09:10PM

Kit, The eggshell idea is probably the best. Salt will adversely affect your plants. Most plants don't like salt and it will stunt their growth or kill them. I lived in a city neighborhood that had tons of snails and I installed a large light on the back of the garage nest to the garden. At night I would go out and pick and squash snails. The beer doesn't work either. The marigolds are for distraction purposes, ie the snails will eat them instead. So if that is your strategy, plant lots of them.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables