Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Sprouting garbanzo beans--any advice?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 02, 2007 01:56AM

Hello! I tried to sprout some beans, and after the third day of rinsing them about 3-4 times a day, they started to smell really bad. Is this normal or are my beans rotting? They were sprouting but smelled like something rotten. I was afraid to eat them so I threw them out. Any suggestions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sprouting garbanzo beans--any advice?
Posted by: earthangel ()
Date: May 03, 2007 06:03PM

hmm usually soaking them overnight makes them good to eat or use it hummus rather..so i am not sure about just eating them..i have never tried either way myself but most suggest soaking overnight only and then use in your food!! so try just one night! or two..good lukc
love earthangel
xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 27, 2007 01:53AM

I have done it in the frig. with lots of rinsings to get longer tails and sweeter taste.

elnatural

Posted by: myst1kst0rm ()
Date: July 04, 2007 07:58AM

wow thats wild! I was going to post te same thing! It took mine about 3 -4 days to sprout and yep they smelled ICKY, I through the first batch away and made a second.. it had the exact same results even though it was properly ventillated and rinsed 4x PLUS a day!! I went ahead and made hummus with mine and ate some..it smelled off but it didnt make me ill? Im curious as to what experienced garbonzo sprouters have to say lol.

~ Tiffany

A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart,
and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words..

Posted by: mauiart ()
Date: July 14, 2007 05:32AM

About problems with growing your own sprouts.

Garbonzo is sometimes difficult - First off it is counterproductive to keep rinsing the beans because logically

that seems to make sence, but just because something appears logical that is not always the best thing to do

because it actually increases the funking out effect. Vibrantly fresh dry garbonzos are actually very easy to

sprout if you follow this advice. Try this. Use screen from the hardware store for better ventilation as opposed

to cheese cloth for all your sprouting which increases your sprouting success ratebecause of increased ventilation. Buy a small batch of dry

garbonzos from your local health food store and test sprout it by soaking overnite. It is important to do this with

garbonzo esp since it is cooler at nite and that produces less or mostly no pre fermentation of your seeds and

beans. In the morning drain them, then immediately rinse with fresh water. Let sit upside down in your dish

drainer a short while then place your hand over your screen and shake a few times over your sink to

thouroughly remove the last bits of water, which would definetly increase the likelyhood of the funk effect.

Place container on its side in the coolest place out of the sunlite and just rotate the jar later in the day instead

of rinsing and just water it ONCE more the NEXT MORNING again just rotating the jar later that second day to

distribute the moisture. That is all the watering it should take, believe it or not. If it grows vigorously within one

or two days I go back immediately and buy a larger quanity. If no tail within 1-2 days I go to another store and

start from square one. Some batches are very old with little or no vigor and will easily rot before ever sprouting

no matter what you do. This is the only sprout I do not cover loosly with a lid in the fridge. I leave the screen on

and also rote them once a day without any extra watering to keep them on the drier side so as not to encourage

rotting.
Good luck. Let me know how it goes. MauiArt

I live in Hawaii and also have had problems with some sprouts. The secret is to soak shorter times and water

less and I also go so far as to place the jars on the floor where it is slightly cooler than higher up in the room.

Also do not put the jars in a closed area such as a cupboard. Place them where they get the best air circulation

but definately not where the direct sunlite will shine. Too do not use cheese cloth. I use the plastic screening

they sell in bulk from the hardware store.

After the soaking period which is a bit different for different seeds I like to flush the newly soaked seeds rite

after first draing the soak water off.

Hulled Sunflower seeds - soak overnite, preferably not during the warm day. In the early morning drain, rinse

one time immediately drain again by holding your hand over the screen and shaking vigorously downward over

your sink. Place on its side in the coolest place at the lowest practical level and never inside a cabinit for the

afternoon then place a lid on jar and put in the refrige immediately and eat immediately till about day 3. the

sooner the better because they will still discolor after 2-3 days in the fridge. Rotate without watering each day

in the fridge and then rinse before eating, just the part you will be eating though.

Grains - soak 6 hours during a warm day and 8 - 12 hours over nite. As with all sprouting day times can be

shorter than cooler overnite soaking. Overnite soaking is prefferable for more successful results esp when you

are a beginner To drain, place at a downward angle, for a short while, say in a dish drainer at a 45 degree angle

downward, then hold hand over scree and give a couple downward shakes over the sink to get the last amounts

of water out, then lay on their side and do not water for the first 24 hours. Rinse only one time per 24 hours and

they will be done in about 2-3 days I do rotate the the jar once per day instead of watering a second time to

redistribute the moisture in the jar itself. I also have to grow alfalfa this very same way.

Remember- less water, not more, thorough drainage and good air circulation and place them in the coolest

room of the house. Good luck! Even with these techniques they will still rot occasionally in these warm

climates.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2007 05:34AM by mauiart.

Posted by: chickory ()
Date: August 31, 2007 03:21PM

My expereince- although some of the chickpeas are sprouting, some are not, and those are the ones that are rotting.
You need to get a better source of chickpeas.
I've had good experiences with chickpeas from Indian and Pakistani groceries- chana is the word they use for chickpeas, and they have different kinds. The black or brown chana sprout well without the funk.
Chickory

Posted by: Avocadess ()
Date: January 17, 2008 05:44PM

Thanks for your very thoughtful and helpful post, Mauiart!

I will be trying these things. winking smiley

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: February 16, 2008 08:05PM

I do mine with a little sprouting jar, and it's easy as pie, provided you get good chickpeas (I've used ones from sproutpeople, but found some in bulk at whole foods that taste even better, just experiment!).

Soak them for 8 hours, and rinse 3 times/day for 2-3 days. Tails should pop out like lightning. If they are getting funky, my suggestion would be to make sure they are draining properly? I've never ever had sprouts go rancid, but the sprouter I use has little grates on the bottom, so all the excess water just drips out.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables