Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

can I sprout tomatoes seeds?
Posted by: cy ()
Date: May 11, 2007 04:49AM

I would like to know if I can sprout tomatoes seeds.Sombody would know?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: can I sprout tomatoes seeds?
Posted by: Pistachio ()
Date: May 11, 2007 06:47PM

I don't see why not. In the past when I planted tomatoes, I never bought seeds. I just kept the seeds from those tomatoes I enjoyed the most and planted them.

Wishing you vibrant health

Date: May 11, 2007 07:39PM

Hi Pistachio,thanks for your letter,and great idea.Could I do this now or it is too late in the season?

Posted by: Pistachio ()
Date: May 12, 2007 03:52AM

Hi CY:

Believe it or not, I've never planted according to a reccommended season or any season at that. If it's a seed I'd either sprout it or just put it in dirt and let things take their course. Once it began growing, then I'd leave it in a pot or transfer it to the ground. That's the same practice I've used for plants that propagate by leaves or branches. I know that it may sound odd doing it this way, but that way of doing it began since childhood and it just stayed with me ever since.

If you prefer to plant according to the ideal reccommended season, then check out a publication or the online version of the farmer's almanac or similar publication.

Wishing you vibrant health

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: May 12, 2007 11:19AM

-Tomato seeds can certainly sprout....but tomato seeds are small....and require a good deal of warmth and patience to sprout. The need at least a 60-90 day warm season with lots of sun to do well. As long as you have good mature plants ready by that period...they'll do fine. The don't like 'scorching' sun or temperatures....and they certainly won't grow well in the cold or frost (near frost conditions will kill them).

-An economical and quick start to tomatoes is to buy a tray of plants from Home Depot or some other location......unless you are trying to grow specific exotic varieties. Spending 2 bucks at Home Depot vs. all the watering and time it takes to sprout the small seeds....and the time you'll save growing.......is probably worth it.

-Just my suggestions / opinions / experiences.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: May 12, 2007 08:52PM

I have a whole different relationship with purchased plants vs. the ones I sprout myself.

Date: May 12, 2007 10:49PM

Hi Pistachio, I'll do that.I'll try to plant them as you and David said.Thanks a lot for the advise.And I'll try some sprouting too Aquadecoco. I'm sprouting alfafa lately and it's doing very. I liked a lot what Pistachio said about planting the seeds directing from the tomatoes.I'll do that.

Posted by: Kit ()
Date: May 13, 2007 06:00PM

Every year I always get a few volunteer tomatoes especially around the compost. The same with squash. I cant remember if the volunteer toms produce like the planted ones though.

If you ever start experimenting with varieties there's an heirloom one called 'hillbilly' that's really good. It's a big juicy one. If you slice a round sandwich type piece you get what looks like to me a tie dye of yellow, pink and orange. I'm not that much of a tomato eater but this one tastes good to me.

Kit

Date: May 18, 2007 04:06AM

Hi Kit,I'll look for it.I've never heard about this one,but looks good.We bought many types of tomatoes seeds last weekend, and they are already sprouting.Wonderful !! I'm very exciting and happy.But this hillbilly seems good,very good and tasty.Thanks,I'll look for it in the internet.
Cy

Posted by: mira ()
Date: January 28, 2008 03:00AM

I'VE HEARD THEY WERE TOXIC!!! maybe on this site??

baby tomato plants are supposed to be toxic

Posted by: gorillawar ()
Date: February 04, 2008 04:32PM

Tomatoes are in the nightshade family and you are supposed to only eat the fruit.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables