Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Growing herbs inside apartment with NO direct sunlight ?
Posted by: Howlingmoon ()
Date: May 14, 2007 09:12PM

I'm thinking about growing some herbs but, I live in an apartment that gets no direct sunlight, and I don' have any outside area that I can use for a garden. Is it even possible to grow herbs or anything else without any direct sunlight ? How do you go about it ? Do you use artificial lighting of some kind ? I also have very little space in my apartment to put the "garden", so I would have to keep it on the small side.

I've never had a garden before, so any tips, help, comments, advice, anything will be greatly appreciated and helpful! Thank you. = )

Howlingmoon "Moonie" Wolvespirit

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Growing herbs inside apartment with NO direct sunlight ?
Posted by: Pistachio ()
Date: May 15, 2007 12:21PM

Is it even possible to grow herbs or anything else without any direct sunlight ?

I don't see why not. My reasoning is that people in offices have ornamental plants on their desks or in their cubicles that are not exposed to sun light that thrive, so my guess is that your herbs could do just as well. Likewise, some business have decorative plants that have grown fairly large, i.e. in their lobbies and these are not exposed to sunlight either. If you have plants that need pollination then that's a different story since they will need to be outside, but otherwise I'd say give it a try.

Wishing you vibrant health

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2007 12:22PM by Pistachio.

Date: May 15, 2007 06:29PM

Thank you, Pistachio. I'll try it first with one herb, and see how it goes. = )

Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: May 15, 2007 09:58PM

Use a mirror angled at a window and grow the plants against it. More light, little cost.

Date: May 15, 2007 11:27PM

I don' get any light through my windows at all, so I don' think the mirrow idea would work.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: May 16, 2007 01:36AM

Your next bet would simply be to use one of those reading lamps......and use a good compact flourescent bulb. Won't use much electricity...and you should get decent herbs if you grow them under that light.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Date: May 16, 2007 02:31AM

Thank you, David. That's one thing I was considering. I just had no idea what kind of bulb I should use. Thank you all for the info. = ) Soon as I can afford to buy the stuff to start, I'm gonna. Will save me money in the long run instead of buying the herbs in the store. = )

Posted by: Miss Joan ()
Date: May 16, 2007 02:35PM

Hi! You can grow herbs and vegetables inside with a grow light. You can check with your local nursery and get herbs & veggies that are already started. In my area (CT) we have an awesome organic place called Gilbertie's. I know that his seedlings are sold in 800 locations. They can guide you as to what you can grow inside with the grow light. You can probably even get a grow light at Home Depot. I recently planted vegetables with potting SOIL Coast of Maine brand. It is all organic and approved for organic gardening. I also got organic potting MIX that's made by Miracle Grow. I was surprised to find that. (I got it at Home Depot). If you can't find Coast of Maine you can go online to learn about it. If you call them they'll tell you who carries it in your area. They'll also advise you if it's good for indoor gardening. I hope it is, because it's the most awesome product ever! They don't make a potting MIX -- I called and asked. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Joan

Date: May 16, 2007 08:22PM

More great info! Thank you, Miss Joan!

Posted by: Miss Joan ()
Date: May 18, 2007 07:46PM

I read all of the advice for your situation. I'm pretty sure you need a "grow light" for your inside garden. It's specifically made for your purpose. A good nursery can advise if another type of bulb would work as well. Hope this helps!

Joan

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: May 18, 2007 07:52PM

i use grow lights all over my house.. i find they also help alot with the seasonal bummers i used to get in the winter time smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables