Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

I would like to grow bananas indoors...any advice
Posted by: diana ()
Date: May 16, 2007 09:53PM

Hi guys...I would like some advice about growing bananas indoors...I have the space...12 foot ceilings and plenty of space...I live in an old warehouse...Also...I live in Northeastern PA where our climate is on the cooler side and we have a shorter outdoor growing season...any advice and/or contacts would be greatly appreciated...Thanks...Diana...LOL...I just remembered my sisters called me Diana Banana when I was about 5 years old because I loved bananas SOOOO much...It's funny because I still do...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I would like to grow bananas indoors...any advice
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: May 16, 2007 10:52PM

heres a link with lots of nana info smiling smiley

[www.banana-plants.com]

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: diana ()
Date: May 16, 2007 11:24PM

Thanks for the info...Diana

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 27, 2007 01:50AM

Go to Florida and look at bananas growing outdoors, look at the ground, measure the tree heights etc.

elnatural

Posted by: mauiart ()
Date: July 14, 2007 08:15AM

Alha Diana,
What a cool idea although I am not sure you have the bright light needed, although you could feed, keep them from freezing, above 65 degrees that is, and water and grow them tall. What sort of sun lighting source do you have? They like tons of water and fertilizer and compost even capable of growing in standing water unlike most plants. It takes 1 1/2 years to grow a bunch and once you start one you never have to replant because they put out 3 suckers (babies) per plant growing to replace their mom. You do not start them from seed. All you need is the bottom part of a growing plant. They are very sturdy in that if you ripped a clump out of the base of a growing cluster and tossed it on the bare wet ground even in the full sun without ever planting it, it would sprout up on its own. Bananas are not trees unlike the childhood tales and songs taught us. They actually belong to the herb family even though they bear fruit. There are about 150 varieties. The common kinds are called Williams. When the stalk is ready to pick is when one banana starts turning yellow on each stalk. You chop down the whole plant stalk with a machete to harvest because each stalk only produces one big bunch each little bunch is called a hand of bananas. How bout them bananas?

Posted by: ErikSkulasonUSA ()
Date: August 03, 2007 08:49AM

Why bananas (if you don't mind)?

Pls. excuse my English - foreigner.

=============================================================
Medicine, Food Industry and Commerce are businesses.
Is their goal to make/keep me healthy or to make more profit?
=============================================================

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2007 08:50AM by ErikSkulasonUSA.

Posted by: brome ()
Date: August 08, 2007 07:02AM

Here's a good site with alot of different varieties of bananas. The Dwarf Cavendish looks like it might do well indoors. They recommend the Saba or the Super Dwarf for indoors.

[www.greenhousebusiness.com]

The Apple looks real tasty. The Dwarf Orinoco can take 0 degrees F, wow.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2007 07:17AM by brome.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables