Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Growing Herbs from Seeds
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 14, 2007 11:42AM

I'm going to grow herbs in pots by my window. I gave it a go a few months ago, but died shortly after 3 weeks. I was wondering it anyone had an experience or advice on growing/caring for herbs from a seed.

The herbs I plan on growing are: basil, chives, and parsley.

Thank you for any advice/help - it is very much appreciated. :-)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Growing Herbs from Seeds
Posted by: allone01 ()
Date: October 18, 2007 06:05PM

i had problems gowning my basil in the ground from seed, once i moved it into a pot it grew MUCH better.

what are you growing them in? are they getting nutrition? do you compost?
the soil is the big deal. they cant be malnutritioned or they die.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: October 19, 2007 03:50AM

in my experience herbs just seem to not like plastic pots .. idont know why .. maybe they just dont let the soil breathe or something... get some little terracotta pots to start .. start off with really good pottingsoil smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 21, 2007 02:31AM

I'm using glazed terra cotta (I read that these are best for container herbs). The soil I'm using it Organic Miracle Gro (I know big company... but I'm a novice).

I planted basil and chives last weekend. This weekend I see some growth in the chives pot. Last time I did this, I had them in the east window because all other windows get virtually no sun. But, again, I've read that it is best to keep them in a south or west window. The only window that gets sun is in my mother's room, and she doesn't mind having herbs on her nightstand.

The biggest problem I have is watering. I'm never really sure when to water. I know it's bad, especially with vulnerable herb seedlings, to water too little or too much.

Any tips regarding WATERING would be very helpful.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: October 21, 2007 03:10AM

the red text is my additions to instruction

Before planting seeds in the soil, soak them in water or place them between wet paper towels and into a plastic bag for 2 to 4 hours.
Fill the containers with potting soil. If planting seeds, sprinkle seeds over the soil and cover them with approximately ΒΌ inch of additional soil. For seedlings, dig a small hole and bury their roots in the soil and water thoroughly. If you are planting multiple seedlings in one container, plant them 2 to 3 inches apart.
If you are planting a variety of seeds in one pot (or in a long window box), designate areas of the container for each different type of herb. Garden markers can be used to name each herb.
Water your freshly potted garden thoroughly, so that moisture escapes from the drainage holes. Place the plants in a warm spot; the top of the refrigerator is often a good place to store them while waiting for them to sprout (germinate).this is important .. putting the pots right out by a cold window will slow down germination and make for weak plants And be sure to water them again whenever the soil feels dry to the touch.stick your finger in the soil if it comes out reasonablly clean its too dry ...likewise if it comes out muddy its too wet
When the herbs germinate, move them from their warm spot to their sunny new home. Again, water them whenever the soil feels dry to the touch. A spray bottle is a good way to add moisture without knocking over the delicate seedlings.
If a large number of seeds germinate, use kitchen shears to snip unwanted plants at soil level, rather than pulling them out of the soil. This thinning is integral to avoid overcrowding, which prevents the herbs from growing well. Once your herbs are established and growing, don't be afraid to harvest them, but always leave at least a sprig of each herb so that the plant can continue to grow. Trimming herbs encourages them to grow bushy--and gives you the perfect excuse to cook with your freshly grown herbs!

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables