Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Beans
Posted by: FrogQueen ()
Date: April 30, 2006 02:29PM

Can any kind of bean be sprouted? Well I know any should sprout but I'm speaking on their taste and nutrition.

In the sad world I love black beans so I'm wondering if they would make good sprouts.

Since I'm talking about beans... how else other than sprouts are they included into this lifestyle?

Alesia

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Beans
Posted by: reuben ()
Date: May 03, 2006 03:34AM

we found some beans to have a starchy flavour even after sprouting that wasn't particularly apealing but try them anyway. expirmenting teaches many things.

Posted by: FrogQueen ()
Date: May 04, 2006 02:23PM

The navy beans I started on Sunday have about an 1/8 inch sprout I'm shooting for about an 1/2 inch.

The kidney beans started at the same time are just now cracking open.

Posted by: taylor ()
Date: January 07, 2007 01:52AM

dear frogqueen-what will u do with the navy beans and the kidney beans that are sprouted? i have lentils sprouting-what do i do with them?i have wheat berries sprouting and i am gonna make bread with those.the lentils i have no idea.any tips?thank u-i am just 4 days into being a raw foodist.i did make yam chips and beets chips-i love the beet chips.thanks for any response.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 23, 2007 12:06AM

Hi there, have a receipe 4 Black Bean Dip as follows-3 cups sprouted black beans 3 small tomatoes 1 medium onion 1 teaspoon cumin 1/4 teaspoon cayenne 1 clove of garlic.

Date: February 23, 2007 12:07AM

Sorry forgot to add throw in blender till puree smiling smiley

Posted by: imfree ()
Date: August 12, 2007 12:49AM

kphillips, that sounds delicious, but how long do you let the black beans sprout for?

Posted by: basil ()
Date: August 23, 2007 06:17AM

Thats funny, my boyfriend just asked me about an hour ago if black beans could sprout... let me know how it goes.

I'm sprouting letils right now too. They should be done tomorrow. My friend just suggetsed to me to make a curried lentil. Soak them overnight with olive oil, bragg aminos, garlic, lemon, and maybe something else, ginger would be good huh. I'm going to go for it smiling smiley

Basil

Date: August 28, 2007 10:24PM

PLEASE do not eat Raw kidney beans...they are TOXIC and you may end up in the hospital.....please look at googled sites....U.S. FDA and Atlanta center for deisease control......folks have DIED in UK for undercooked/uncooked kidney beans, both red and white!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: lotusblossom9 ()
Date: September 16, 2007 04:33PM

maddyveggie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> PLEASE do not eat Raw kidney beans...they are
> TOXIC and you may end up in the
> hospital.....please look at googled sites....U.S.
> FDA and Atlanta center for deisease
> control......folks have DIED in UK for
> undercooked/uncooked kidney beans, both red and
> white!!!!!!!!!

i second this!!! my husband got extemely sick after eating sprouted kidney beans. i almost had to take him to the hospital. it was very scary. after he got sick i googled it and sure enough, some beans that are raw/sprouted are toxic.

Posted by: Avocadess ()
Date: January 17, 2008 05:49PM

I have heard David Wolfe say that if you eat beans it would be better to sprout them a little and then cook them before eating. Wish I could remember why he said that and I wonder if that also applies to all beans including lentils and aduki...

Date: February 21, 2008 06:45AM

CAREFUL!!!!
Like others have noted- some beans ARE toxic when sprouted! I sprouted black beans a while back and my mum and I got awfully sick from them! It scared me so much that I haven't tried sprouting beans again (I sprout quinoa, wild rice and seeds though) Does any one have a list of SAFE beans for sprouting? I love them and would like to grow more- just scared of getting sick again!

Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: February 22, 2008 01:17AM

What I have heard to be safe--and what local health food stores around me sell--are lentils, aduki, green peas, and chickpeas. I know my local raw restaurant uses chickpeas and lentils.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables