Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Have you heard about a weed called purslane?
Posted by: cy ()
Date: November 05, 2007 11:03PM

Have you heard about purslane?I heard that it is very good for you and has a lot of vitamins in it.Does anyone know where could I get it,and also I am looking all over for chia seeds.Does anyone know where could I buy chia seeds too?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Have you heard about a weed called purslane?
Posted by: basil ()
Date: November 11, 2007 08:14AM

Puslane is usually growing amongst your gardens...my friend Laura calls it pigweed. it has small sort of plump teardrop shaped leafs sort of fuzzy and a tinge of purple...it is a weed, its stems are limp and plump...I love it! I dont think you can buy it anywhere.

Posted by: Avocadess ()
Date: January 17, 2008 05:31PM

I actually bought purslane at the store a month or two ago -- was so exciting! (I live in Austin, Texas and I think it was as Wheatsville but might have been at Whole Foods or could even have been at the Boggy Creek farmer's market -- probably at the farmer's market now that I think of it). It was VERY expensive which is ironic since usually one could get it as a "weed." I was excited to get some just so I could see "in person" for sure what it looks like so that hopefully I will be able to recognize it now when I see it in the wild.

Chia seeds can be bought on the Internet. I'm looking for a good and cheap source. I had some dehydrated chia chips at a potluck a month or so ago and they were to LIVE for...!!! winking smiley

Date: February 03, 2008 12:31AM

HI Avocadess,I bought chia seeds from Mrs Greens,and I'll try it on my next onion bread.Instead of flax I'll add chia.

I still not finding purslane in a natural food store.

Posted by: gorillawar ()
Date: February 04, 2008 04:28PM

Purslane can be bought at mexican bodegas. It's called verdolagas ... or something similar to that. I pick mine or free at a local organic farm. I also get to pick as much dandelion. I buy my chia seeds from a local health food store.

How do you folks use chia seeds?

Date: February 04, 2008 08:42PM

You can add chia seeds in any recipe that calls for flax seeds,and also in smoothies.
www.rawreform.com has a lot of recipes and ideas for chia seeds.
Do you know where could I find kale,watercress,swisschart seeds?

Date: February 04, 2008 08:48PM

[www.rawreform.com]
recipes and where chia seeds come from

Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: February 21, 2008 01:16AM

I found it at a Mexican grocery. It was called verdolago or something like that. I recognized it and was very happy.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 14, 2008 05:42PM

You can buy chia seeds from many internet sources. I use www.mountainroseherbs.com. All their stuff is premium quality at a reasonable price.

Posted by: eemiller ()
Date: April 15, 2008 04:49PM

How exciting. I just finished reading a book called God's Free Harvest... and it discussed Purslane. Has anyone read that book? I just finished typing up 41 pages of "cheat sheets" with photos, descriptions, locations to look, harvesting times and uses for the parts, that I will be using to forage in my yard and back woods come spring. I'm very excited about this.

Posted by: baltochef ()
Date: April 16, 2008 03:24PM

Purslane has been eaten by humans for thousands of years..It's one of the first green plants to be available to eat in springtime..As with most wild plants, the smallest leaves that first appear in the spring will be the tenderest & the mildest..It grows year round as a perennial weed..The tougher leaves growing in the heat of summer will work fine in green smoothies..Although I've not done this myself, if plants were dug up & transplanted into a permanent plot of rich garden soil; they would establish themselves, & be tenderer than those competing to grow against grass in a lawn..Same with dandelions..

dandelion seed: [www.seedrack.com]
purslane seed: [www.sandmountainherbs.com]

Good luck, Bruce

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables