Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

soaking water... keep or discard?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 28, 2007 02:17PM

hello...
I am new to raw eating and can't find info on which soaking water to keep and/or which to discard..
If sprouting, I would wash and drain, but if soaking nuts and seeds overnight to eat for breakfast for example, do I keep the water to hold on to leaked goodness or discard it because of toxic substances having been soaked out?
I'm confused!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: soaking water... keep or discard?
Posted by: frances ()
Date: November 28, 2007 03:43PM

I always discard soaking water. In fact, when doing a longer soak it can be beneficial to discard and replace the water during the process to keep the seeds or nuts clean. When I used to steam veggies frequently I used to save the steaming water to recover the "leaked goodness", and that's probably what you're thinking of.

Date: December 17, 2007 03:36PM

I know what you mean, thinley.
I am wondering what the difference is then between blending nuts in water and allowing it to sit to use for nut milk and the water used to soak nuts overnight being discarded?

Date: January 12, 2008 12:46AM

I think if you want to drink the water, you should.

Posted by: brome ()
Date: February 26, 2008 11:17PM

The substances that the seed discards into the soak water are dormancy chemicals that it no longer needs and metabolic waste products. Don't drink it. Use it to water your plants.

Posted by: meganbubbs ()
Date: March 02, 2008 11:20PM

If I am soaking seeds for sprouting, I use the soak water to water the plants around the house, they seem to like it!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables