Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Ginko biloba
Posted by: Kit ()
Date: December 26, 2007 09:28PM

As usual the Ginko biloba trees were lovely this fall.

Kit

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ginko biloba
Posted by: Pistachio ()
Date: December 29, 2007 01:33AM

Thanks for the photos. For some reason I pictured the plant as a small shrub. The foliage stands out in contrast to its background. What areas of the country does it grow in?

Wishing you vibrant health

Posted by: Kit ()
Date: December 31, 2007 02:44AM

Hi Pistachio,

Yep, they are full blown trees. Leaves are light green most of the time and, as you can see, bright yellow in fall. Female trees have olive sized fruit that some folks eat. The smell of the fruit is not so great though and they can make a mess. Leaves have been used for tea too but, BTW, I would recommend looking such things up before ingesting. For strictly landscaping the male trees are considered easier maintenance.

My experience is they are tolerant of a lot of conditions. Sunset Western Garden Books says they grow in zones A3; 1-10,12,14-24 which gives them a wide range at least in the western USA.

I always remember hearing of them being one of, if not THE, oldest known tree. That and that a Ginko tree survived the Hiroshima bombing in Japan! These trees are survivors.

Kit

Posted by: Pistachio ()
Date: January 01, 2008 01:54AM

Interesting tidbits. Thanks.

Wishing you vibrant health

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables