Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

are raw buckwheat groats dark brown?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 16, 2008 02:16AM

I bought some (supposedly) raw buckwheat groats at a little shop in my small town, but then I was told that raw buckwheat should be white with maybe a greenish cast. These are very dark brown colored. What color are your raw buckwheats?

THANKS!

TraceyMouse

Re: are raw buckwheat groats dark brown?
Posted by: frances ()
Date: January 16, 2008 05:08PM

If you have dark brown buckwheat groats, then they probably still have the hulls on. These are great for sprouting, but the hulls are really tough and I don't know if you could soften them enough to eat without cooking. (I only tried it once, and didn't have success.)

The pale colored raw buckwheat are the ones usually sold for eating. These have had the hulls removed, which makes them much easier to prepare and eat. A good soaking will soften them enough.

In between, the buckwheat which has been hulled then toasted is ruddy or light brown and often sold as kasha. These are also easy to prepare and eat, but are not raw.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables