Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

banana flies and sprouts
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 18, 2008 11:15AM

I have been having problems with my sprouts getting attaced by banana flies. Have any of you experience with that and what to do about it ? I use sprout bags.
I have been thinking about sprouting in the fridge but since most sprouts need a bit of warm it is not posible. What to do ? Im so sad that I loss my beautiful sprouts to a colony of flies :-(

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: banana flies and sprouts
Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: March 13, 2008 09:38AM

What is a banana fly???

Posted by: rawnoggin ()
Date: March 16, 2008 01:56PM

It's like a banana, with wings and six legs.

Just kidding :-)

Have you considered using a sprouting (glass) jar with the hard screw-on lid with the tiny holes in it? They seem pretty tough, IMO.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2008 01:56PM by rawnoggin.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: March 16, 2008 05:04PM

Right. You CAN take precautions. Try sprouting in the bathroom - or some other area away from food prep. Rinse more frequently. Cover your sprout jar or whatever with a fine mesh (which you can get at Walmart or anywhere). Should work fine.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: mira ()
Date: March 16, 2008 07:20PM

you can add a couple of drops of apple cider vinegar when you rinse them... I do that, and it keeps mold away

Date: March 21, 2008 06:40PM

Bananas with wings LOL :-)

Sorry english is not my native language. I gues you call them fruit flyes ?

I have been using sprouting bags, but the flyes absoulutely loves my sprouts (they are delisious I know but.... ;-) I just cant eat them thinking they might have layed eggs in there.

They can get through really small holes, so I cant figure out what to do. If I move the sprouts to another room they just move too ;-)

Well it has been a while since I tried to sprout, so maby I should take advandage that there is no fruit flyes around at the moment :-)

Date: August 15, 2010 01:54AM

VeganAngel, you could try spraying the bag with a lemon eucalyptus/water spray. If you don't know already, lemon eucalyptus oil is the most powerful natural bug repellent.

According to Wikipedia it's safe in small doses taken internally
[en.wikipedia.org]

I'm going to try this because I've been having problems with fruit flies. I understand why you would call them banana flies because they seem to go straight for the bananas (if not the sprouts)

Date: August 15, 2010 03:20AM

i just thought of something else.

use the sprout bag.
put it in a sieve.
put a muslin bag on the opening of the hemp sprout bag.
done.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables