Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Planting in Arizona
Posted by: brenna ()
Date: February 19, 2008 10:03PM

Gonna start with a disclaimer, because I really know NOTHING about this. I gardened when I was going up in Chicago and planted lots of trees but it's SO different out here. The soil is weird and I can't seem to make things grow. I think I'm planting at the wrong time and basically not doing anything right!
I've planted a couple trees and other than the citrus they've all died. I want to plant a lot of fruit trees as I have a decent backyard for it and I love having free citrus right now, it really helps me with staying raw.
Does anyone know when the right time to plant is? There has to be some time of year where my poor baby trees won't freeze and won't burn and can get roots in a little to withstand the summer or winter.
Anyone in a desert climate? I would appreciate ANY gardening/planting tips you have.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Planting in Arizona
Date: March 21, 2008 08:09PM

Nobody? Are there no other raw fooders in the southwest? C'mon there have to at least be some people in California..
Anyone, anyone...bueller?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 22, 2008 05:54AM

I am with you!!! But... my best advice to you would b to use the wonderful advice of Home Depot.... the people there are WONDERFUL and have what it takes to help.. if you happen to get a new person... well go to one of the many nurseries we have in the valley... don't be afraid to ask them questions... I'm going to try and start a garden myself... I will end up building a 'homemade' green house and getting the best organic soil I can find... Hit the Mesquite library near PV mall... if you are in that area... and get a book on arizona gardening... keep me posted on your finds... and I will b sure to let you know about what's going on with my garden... Cheers...

Jodi

Date: March 23, 2008 02:17AM

Everyone is telling me to plant trees in late fall and then wrap them up if there's a frost coming, so I think I might try that. We have a few citrus trees but I really want some more variety.
Now we just have to clear out the gardening area and get going.

Posted by: baltochef ()
Date: March 25, 2008 03:17PM

brenna

The advice that loeve & I gave you in our posts on the Living & Raw Foods forum are very good suggestions..Local nurseries, the state's Agricultural Extension Service, any local fruit farmers (regardless of whether they are organic or conventional), any organic fruit growing organizations--all these folks will have better local knowledge than the people here on these forums (unless they live near to you in Arizona)..

As I said in my other post, local knowledge is essential to your success..The first thing I would do is to get the soil in the area that you want to plant these trees tested..Can I make the assumption that you would like to grow your fruit organically??..If so, contact the folks at Peaceful Valley Farm & garden Supply at [www.GrowOrganic.com]

I believe that they are the nations largest seller of organic seeds, supplies, equipment, etc..They are relatively close to you in Grass Valley, California..

They have a comprehensive soil testing service available through their company that is completely oriented towards organic growers..Most other soil testing services are geared towards petrochemical growers..Knowing what your soil type is & it's fertility levels is the very first step that you need to take in order to start the process of finding out why you have been failing..Without understanding your soil you will be shooting blindly trying to figure out the causes of your problems..

Soil tests can sometimes be expensive..Farmers pay for this kind of information when they need exact information..99% of home gardeners tend to ignore soil tests..They then spend way more purchasing plants, trees, soil amendments, sprays, etc., than the costs of the tests would have been..All the while their expensive purchases keep dying..

Growing healthy fruit trees is perhaps one of the most difficult things that a gardener or farmer can do..Growing healthy organic fruit trees is even more difficult..Get your soil tested, talk to local fruit growers, talk to the Extension Service..Spend this spring & summer learning as much as you can..Work to improve the soil where you want to plant the trees..Plant your new trees late this summer or early fall at whatever time that the locals recommend..Then, after all this, realize that it will be at least 3-5 years before you can begin to harvest any appreciable amounts of fruit..Fruit trees are an investment in your future..They are a lot of hard work that pays off in incredible dividends for decades after they become established..

After you learn about your soil & the local conditions that will effect your ability to grow fruit trees, you might want to consider espalier..Espalier trees are heavily pruned trees that are trained into various shapes..If your conditions turn out to be particularly harsh, then espalier might be something that you wish to consider..

If so, check out Henry Leuthardt Nurseries at [www.henryleuthardtnurseries.com] They are on Long Island, New York, but sell espaliered fruit trees all over the USA..

Good luck!!

Bruce

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: March 27, 2008 05:01AM

Jodi's idea of the Home Depot is right on. They may have citrus in stock now, March and April also being reasonable planting months in the valley according to that extension website. They probably have small container grown trees that will take the shock of planting a lot better and grow like weeds given the warmth and sun.

Baltochef is right about how difficult it is to get a fruit tree established. Mine are taking forever! Maybe I should get a soil test too.

Given the history of agriculture in Tempe and some good planting instructions you should be fine. compost, mulch, water

[ [www.tempechamber.com] ]

I lived south of the river for two years on University, then north of the river for two years on Via Linda. Didn't have a place to plant- could only dream of it

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: April 07, 2008 02:03AM

[www.westonaprice.org]

Oh..here's a link for you to read on growing things..I just posted it under another topic heading, but saw this thread..so am adding it here too.

Good luck!

Love,
Prism

Posted by: baltochef ()
Date: April 07, 2008 03:13PM

Prism--Thanks for the link to the interview with Mr. Price..I live in Baltimore, MD, & I'm going to see if I can get in touch with him so as to speak with him personally..

Anyone interested in the tools to test your plants for Brix levels can find them at Peaceful Valley Farm & Garden Supply..

[www.GrowOrganic.com]
The sap extractor [www.groworganic.com]
The refractometer [www.groworganic.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2008 03:16PM by baltochef.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables