Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Where do I start?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 30, 2008 02:49PM

I see a lot of my cookbooks saying "Sprouted...." I never make those recipies cause I dont know where to start! What does this mean? Do I buy seeds?

Help sad smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Where do I start?
Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: March 30, 2008 06:12PM

this website is loaded with information: [www.sproutpeople.com]

also these videos: [www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]

i was an intimidated sprouter, but once i took the plunge (with a nudge) i found it to be incredibly easy and fun. sprouts have become the bulk of my greens (mostly because they are so CHEAP... and where i live spinach is $7/lb, and a small head of lettuce is $2!)

good luck. dive in, you'll love it!

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: April 01, 2008 11:21AM

Sure. First get the seeds. Start by just picking up some raw...out of the shell sunflower seeds. (Non-roasted...of course). Then soak 1 cup overnight in cold water. Then strain. Then rinse three times a day in cold water and continue straining. Keep in cool, non-lighted area and covered with a cloth. Continue to rinse 3 times a day for three days until you get your sprouts the length you want. If you want little micro-greens...then you plant the seeds in a little tray of soil....and put in diffuse sunlight and breeze when they start to grow their second set of leafs.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: eemiller ()
Date: April 15, 2008 05:03PM

I would love to replace my store bought greens with my own sprouted foods and even wild edibles. It sounds like Maui_Butterfly has done that. What sprouts do you recommend for these... I, too am just starting out.

Posted by: frances ()
Date: April 15, 2008 07:11PM

Leafy sprouts are probably the easiest to start with and they remain my favorites. Try clover, alfalfa, broccoli and/or radish. Broccoli sprouts are stronger in flavor than clover and alfalfa, and the radish can have a real kick. Garlic chives are another one that you may not want to use as the base for your salad! Fenugreek grows an interesting leafy green sprout with a very different flavor people seem to love or hate. You can probably find some good salad mixes that are based in alfalfa or clover, with a few interesting seeds mixed in that might be more difficult to grow on their own, like arugula, mustard and cress.

Arugula, mustard and cress are examples of mucilaginous seeds. They get very sticky when they start to germinate and have a great deal of trouble growing without soil. They do alright, though, when a small amount is mixed into a batch of some of the leafy sprout seeds I mentioned. If you buy a seed mix from a reliable business they should have tested the ratios to make sure the mixture will grow well without soil.

If you don't have a good local place to buy sprouting supplies, there are plenty online. My favorite is [www.sproutpeople.com]. They have tons of great advice about sprouting on their site. There prices are competitive, but not always the best. Also, they don't carry organic broccoli, so you may need to shop elsewhere if that matters to you.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables