Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

best time of day to pick vegetables?
Posted by: TroySantos ()
Date: April 13, 2008 07:27AM

What's the best time? Years ago I visited a CSA for a tour. The guy there said that they try to get fruits and vegetables to the customers when the produce in the freshest possible state. So, he said, they pick fruits at one time of day and vegetables at another time of day. If I remember correctly. But I forget when these times are. I'm sure he said morning for one and evening for the other. If I remember correctly this was a Biodynamic farm.

When I was living with Santi Asoke in Thailand I learned that the best time to pick is in the morning, before the sun comes up. At that time plants haven't yet started losing the energy they accumulated during the night.

I wonder though, about picking vegetables in the middle of the day, or in the early evening, and eating them soon after picking. Would they have more *whatever* than if I were to pick them in the morning and then eat them in the early evening?

This way is not compatible with Zen practice. This way IS Zen practice. - Dr. Doug Graham

Nothing whatsoever should be attached to. - Buddha

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: best time of day to pick vegetables?
Date: April 22, 2008 04:39AM

C'mon. Someone must have SOMETHING to say!! No?

This way is not compatible with Zen practice. This way IS Zen practice. - Dr. Doug Graham

Posted by: idarastar ()
Date: April 22, 2008 06:21AM

I'll say something. I don't know if this is true, but it makes sense in my head.

I believe morning would be best. It seems that the morning dew may give them needed moisture and it would be before the sun comes to dry them off. Just like sprouting, the moisture is needed to bring them back to life. Maybe this is the same.

Wait...let me google something..

From HGTV.com
"Pick vegetables in early morning or late afternoon. After picking, soak them in cool water. This will prolong the freshness."

From VegetableGardeningGuru.com
"The best time to harvest is in the morning, right after the dew has dissipated. That's when your vegetables will have the highest water content. It's also good to pick vegetables during cloudy days or when you're going through a cool spell for the same reason. (If you're growing grains, though, you'll want to harvest when dry.)"

I'm definately sticking to my assumptions seeing how right I was! Wow!

Date: April 23, 2008 12:59AM

Great. I really appreciate this. I thought yesterday, after posting that last post, to check Google but didn't have time. I'll stick to these suggestions. Makes sense to me too.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: April 23, 2008 12:36PM

Yes. Early morning is best....right after a good evening chill. This has been my expereince.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: hyldemoer ()
Date: May 01, 2008 05:37AM

TroySantos Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If I remember correctly this was a
> Biodynamic farm.

If its Biodynamic you want, Stella Natura prints a Biodynamic calendar that suggests planting, transferring, and harvesting times.

Posted by: rawfrancois ()
Date: May 07, 2008 07:57PM

My organic gardening book said that morning would be the best time to pick them.

Posted by: Duo ()
Date: June 15, 2008 04:14AM

i'd say when you're hungry and ready to eat it---------- not for sarcasms sake, but if you pick in the morning to get all that you can..... and then store them for your convenient afternoon meal....well its kindof a moot point

Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: June 15, 2008 12:11PM

I'm a farmer -- morning smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables