Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

First aid for bamboo
Posted by: phantom ()
Date: April 15, 2008 09:39PM

I know this isn't QUITE raw foods, but there are a lot of wizards in the ways of plants around here, so I was wondering if anybody could help me... and specifically my leafy pal. (I don't give him chemicals, so technically it's organic gardening...?)

My bamboo is looking quite ill. I've had him for a little over two years and I love him dearly. He was my first roommate, we've been through a lot together.

I did some reading about indoor bamboo, but I have no idea what kind he is. He was a gift from a grocery store in a tiny little pot with stones. (May I add I know little to nothing about growing plants... gotta learn!) Some time ago, I repotted him into a bigger pot with those shiny fish tank stones, and he grew overnight. It was beautiful. That was also last summer, when I lived in an apartment with direct sunlight in the kitchen windows.

This past fall, I moved to a new building with no direct sunlight. He was okay for most of the winter, but now some of his leaves are turning pale and some of the shoots have brown spots inside (yikes!). My (ha ha human) roommate in this building also smokes, so the air may not be the cleanest--I cleaned all kinds of nasty dusty buildup off my bamboo's leaves today.

I also set him outside on the balcony for the warm part of the day and for the shards of direct sunlight. When his leaves started looking sad when I first moved here, keeping him outside helped (although bugs swarmed the water in his pot).

I'm worried about him getting root rot. I don't want any thing bad to happen to him. =(

Should I repot him into something with soil? Can I get something with trace minerals to add to the water? This is the worst I've seen him, ever. I've always been pretty good at keeping up with his water requirements... but something right now is not working.

Thanks for your help! My bamboo will thank you, too. For now, I'm sticking to lots of love and sun...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: First aid for bamboo
Posted by: baltochef ()
Date: April 16, 2008 03:04PM

Check to see if the bamboo is root bound..It may need to be re-potted into a larger pot..Tobacco smoke may be affecting the plant due to other factors..Is it getting enough sunlight??..Go to the nearest nursery or farm supply store that sells seaweed & fish fertilizer in liquid form..Apply some in a more diluted concentration than you would for garden plants; especially the fish fertilizer..

Better yet, call Peaceful Valley Farm & Garden Supply in Grass Valley, California..Order the fertilizers from them, & ask for their advice on feeding bamboo organic liquid fertilizers as a house plant..If they can't tell you what to do, they will in all likelihood be able to point you in the proper direction for the correct advice..

[www.GrowOrganic.com]

Good luck, Bruce

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: April 16, 2008 09:36PM

yes..and by all means do replant it in potting soil with good drainage. If you do this, shake out some stones if possible and trim away any diseased roots..

never put a plant to bed with wet feet

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: April 17, 2008 01:38AM

Thanks so much! There is a nursery I can go to tomorrow. I might even take him with me. I'll let you know how he fares. Thank you. =)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables