Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Flowering food plant ideas
Posted by: frances ()
Date: April 16, 2008 08:29PM

I'm thinking of planting some combo food/flower beds and I'm looking for ideas for plants that make yummy food and also pretty flowers. Chive flowers are pretty, but I can't eat too many chives (are the chive flowers edible?). Nasturtiums are obviously a possibility. What other ideas does the group have?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flowering food plant ideas
Posted by: loeve ()
Date: April 17, 2008 12:04AM

primrose are delicate and tasty and flower from summer till frost

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: April 17, 2008 01:38AM

as an addendum..it is EVENING primrose that I was recommending....it pops up wild around my place wherever it can find a patch of bare ground. It looks very nice in a natural or wildflower setting imo.
[www.altnature.com]

Date: April 17, 2008 02:25PM

That looks like a good one, loeve! I found a site which claims the whole plant is edible too, including leaves, roots, flowers and seeds. That's one I'll definitely look for.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: April 17, 2008 05:45PM

Flax seeds actually make a wonderful plant / flower. Rainbow Lights Swiss Chard is, in itself a beautiful vegetable.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Date: April 17, 2008 06:37PM

Wow. I did a quick image search for "flax flower" and I was impressed at the variety of beautiful colors: [images.google.com] Is any part of the flax plant edible? (Other than the seeds?)

The chard is a good idea. I was thinking of using strictly flowers, but a little rainbow chard would add brilliance to any flower bed - especially the edible flower bed I'm imagining.

Thanks, David.

Posted by: hyldemoer ()
Date: April 24, 2008 09:35PM

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Calendula officinalis (Pot marigold).
Borage officinalis flowers are very pretty.
The Viola (Violets) are in blossom here in Chicago right now. They're mighty tasty too.

Many common herbs aren't going to have drastic effects if they're just an occasional nibble. Be careful. Get a couple good herb books and cross check them all before feasting.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables