Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

what sprouts can i not eat? (toxic?)
Posted by: idarastar ()
Date: April 20, 2008 10:43PM

I am new to sprouting. I've only sprouted red quinoa and red lentils. Now that I think of it, I think it's funny I've only sprouted "red things." :-)

Anyways, I've heard there are some sprouts that you shouldn't eat. I felt that it may be beneficial for me to ask a community to judge the truth in these assumptions.

The sprouts I have wondered about are as follows:

Almond
Black Beans
Ginger

If it is correct that these sprouts shouldn't be consumed or if there are other sprouts that would fall under that category, please let me know.

If you know a website of this list, please direct me.

Thank you!:-)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: what sprouts can i not eat? (toxic?)
Date: April 23, 2008 06:02PM

I know SOMEONE out there must know something. You do eat sprouts, right?
I know I can sprout chickpeas and lentils, I'm trying to find out about black beans specifically.
I know black beans can sprout, but are they toxic? Based on what I saw at sproutpeople.com, they say to cook them. Maybe they are edible if you just simply soak them?
Please help me from getting ill.

Posted by: frances ()
Date: April 24, 2008 03:00PM

I know that kidney bean sprouts are said to be toxic unless cooked. I tend to be suspicious of all kinds of bean sprouts unless they are well established as safe. I don't know about black beans, but I trust the people at sproutpeople.com to know what they're talking about.

I occasionally sprout chickpeas and lentils. More often, I sprout mung beans, which are the traditional asian bean-sprout bean. That's enough bean sprout variety for me - I prefer leafy green sprouts anyway - so I haven't researched or read much about other varieties of beans for sprouting. Sproutpeople.com also sells a variety of sprouting peas, so assume that they're all safe.

Date: April 24, 2008 08:17PM

I was looking at Juliano's raw book and he mentions black bean sprouts in it but never addresses the issues or not. So, by this I'm assuming they may be okay. I hate mixed information! haha
I'm sticking to red lentils and chickpeas right now but I would love black beans since they are always in stock at my house. I've seen black-eyed pea sprouts before. Maybe I can look into those too.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables