Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

What do you use to workout at home??
Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: May 25, 2008 05:08PM

Okay so I know a lot of people are fans of rebounders, mini trampet things

Normally I run + do a gym workout or yoga or 2 home workouts outdoors

However the weights I have really arent heavy enough, at the gym I use 4 times the weight of my home weights.

Soo.. I am going to get some new resistance bands in the morning, usual ones are yoga type.

Anyone have any experience with these? Any good at all??

I build muscle very easily... just want some variety apart from pumping weights!!

Ta smiling smiley

Pssst.. feel free to share yours smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What do you use to workout at home??
Posted by: arugula ()
Date: May 25, 2008 05:41PM

I have dumbells: 5, 8, 10, 12.5, 15, and 20 lb sets. That's really all I need. But I prefer the gym. I like using a squat rack, and olympic bar, a lat machine, an ab machine, and my favorite: assisted chins and dips--still can't do these with my own body weight.

Posted by: tanawana ()
Date: May 25, 2008 05:49PM

At home I go for more bodyweight activities, so I can grab a chair, the steps, a basement rafter, broom handle, water jugs, etc. You can always make a bodyweight exercise harder or more challenging if you need too.

Date: May 25, 2008 05:55PM

I love the assised chin ups with my own weight!!

Yeah.. I dont find weights ..home ones anyways enough!! lol

Cool..well shall see how I get on with the bands smiling smiley

my neighbours already think I am mad doing squats in the garden everynight!

Posted by: Keepitsimple3344 ()
Date: May 25, 2008 06:57PM

Sure I think I can help,

Great question.
I have been a life long exerciser,and you can also incorprate body resistance exercises such as push ups,dips,pull ups and situps.

I dont know if your man or women but pilates are excellent especially for women in keeping muscles tone.

How about body flexes and holding the pose to you feel resistence your comfortable with.Simply go in front of full length mirror and -i.e make a muscle in the way of flexing your biceps and then do the same with other body parts.

also you can get a wave master a portable punching bag(better than it sounds)
and do punches and kicks.There is a lot of resitence and it strengthns mucles for sure and very good arobically.

How about taking a basic martial arts course at the cyo and you can learn a lot of martial arts stuff for keeping muscles strong and bones healthy.

also keep doing what your doing,asking people who have lots of experiece.Take what works for you and leave the rest.

I also personaly believe when it comes to this topic we r limited by our lack of creativity. I spoke to many body builders over the years and most of all the really good ones said "the people who r most successful in body buiding think outside of the box." He war refering to weights but u get the point.
Good Luck

Date: May 25, 2008 07:03PM

cool thanks for that

I am female!

yeah I do enjoy the boxing bag..but cant have one at home.. (uK living in a flat..lol)

so.. hmm.. well will think more about resistance stuff for sure, I love weights.. I just want some variety, mix it up. I already run daily.

Thanks for the ideas smiling smiley

Posted by: alwaysbelieve1 ()
Date: May 25, 2008 08:00PM

I use Russian Kettlebells. They are a gym within your hand. You won't even need anything else really except simply bodyweight movements and other odd objects for GPP(general physical preparedness).

Russian Kettlebells are the single best piece of training equipment that will show you the most muscular strength and endurance, joint stability, cardiovascular strength and endurance, power, agility, coordination and simply the ultimate overall fitness conditioning that your body could ever receive. If there is one training piece of equipment that I can use for the rest of my life and never anything else again regardless if it was a sophisticated machine, tractor truck tire, cable, rope, dumbbell, barbell, medicine ball or whatever- the Kettlebell would be it!

Don’t be nervous or afraid of learning new things. The Kettlebell is not difficult to learn and use. Fear invokes limitations and once you limit yourself you are trapped in a rut of complacency that will most likely lead to plateaus and failure. Kettlebell training is simply another tool to use that will empower you. You don't even need a gym. Often times I train outside. Kettlebells make the world of fitness training so much more versatile and mobile.

If you want more info or some great workout ideas I have a website: [www.bobgarontraining.com]

Hard Work Always Equals Results.

[www.arizonakettlebelltraining.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2008 08:01PM by alwaysbelieve1.

Date: May 25, 2008 10:45PM

For very light stuff, I use a set of girly dumbbells (max 2kg) and also a heavier set (5kg each). I have a lateral thigh trainer which I love and find VERY effective. I have an exercise bike, ball and other equip. that I find I don't use very often. I like going into the garden with my skipping rope and counting how many skips I can do in a minute etc :-)

Date: May 25, 2008 11:19PM

Yeah I use 10kg and thats nothing.. I need to get some more weights for home..thats the thing really

Thanks for that..I will look into a kettleball!

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: May 25, 2008 11:55PM

I have a set of dumbbells mounted on top of a portable cart that I can roll into my front room whenever I want to "run the rack" of some exercises. I have two each of 5, 10, 15, and 20 pounders along with a small multi-adjustable bench. I also have a rebounder for jogging on rainy days or when its dark outside. I have a 21 speed (3 front x 7 rear) city bike parked near my back door that I just love to take outside for a ride and absorbing vitamin D. I have a luggage rack on the back and do a lot of my shopping and errands on it. I am putting very few miles on my car these days. smiling smiley

Posted by: WorkoutMan ()
Date: May 26, 2008 01:36AM

If your looking at more weight, I love my powerblocks, well woorth the money. They dont take up much space and are easy to change weight, I have the 5-45lbs ones. Check em out [www.powerblock.com]

Posted by: mrdc ()
Date: May 26, 2008 11:00PM

i love the resistance bands

they don't hurt my joints
and you can get a great workout.

peace
dc

Date: May 26, 2008 11:39PM

A wall and a floor!

F1

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 27, 2008 12:51AM

My own two feet and a set of barbells and dumbells.

Posted by: fruitgirl ()
Date: May 27, 2008 01:29AM

biking or walking home from grocery store
loaded down with fruit and veggies

Date: May 27, 2008 05:05AM

Lol F1.. the walls aint mine..otherwise believe me.. I WOULD!!

Cheers guys

resistance bands n some new 20kg weights to play with smiling smiley

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: May 27, 2008 05:14AM

rawdancer you should check out f1's vids on ;you tube smiling smiley hes not kidding when he says the floor and wall .. the vids are super duper showing what you can with *everyday* stuff instead of fancy expensive equipment smiling smiley

otherwise

i make use of skipping rope quite often and like you my weights at home are lighter then what i can push at the gym so i mix up my routine ..at the gym i go heavy/less reps/to failure and at home i go light/many reps
i also use a rebounder
i have tried resistance bands but find they wear out quicker then id like ..at least the cheap ones do
and of course i make use of the hills around here lol smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: May 27, 2008 05:23AM

hey alwaysbelieve1, i'm a kettleballer too! love them. highly recommend. cardio, strength and flexibility all at once. they are awesome. and super FUN. the art of strength video series is excellent: [www.youtube.com]

another good resource: the www.crossfit.com website has such great information/exercise tutorials, especially bodweight stuff. and they post a WOD (workout of the day) every day. its usually pretty advanced, but can be scaled to any fitness level. the good people at brandX martial arts take the CrossFit workout and scale it every day for a range of fitness levels: [forum.brandxmartialarts.com]

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: May 27, 2008 12:42PM

alwaysbelieve1

excellent resistance stuff in your workout

the thing where u have that belt strapped to that person though was novel

but i can see how it could do the trick

interesting

Date: May 27, 2008 08:48PM

I use a jump rope, small weights (5 to 10 lbs) and resistance bands. I also run (just got into it) and do yoga/pilates

My website: The Coconut Chronicles

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: May 30, 2008 02:08AM

If I didn't make it to the gym that day (I try to go every day), I'll get my yoga mat out and do 20 or 30 minutes of yoga. Sometimes I do a kind of tai-chi-inspired dance form to ambient music.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: flex4life ()
Date: May 30, 2008 08:06PM

I use a chair and my chin up bar, better than any gym!

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 18, 2008 09:23PM

I recommend home gym named Vigorfit. It offers the ability to perform more than 107 gym quality exercises plus Pilates, all in one quality home gym. It sure beats the total gym. With up to 440 lbs of available resistance it is perfect for the entire family. It is available at an incredible price and comes with a complete lifetime warranty. If your looking for one home gym that can do it all I strongly recommend that you take a look. Whatever you decide make absolutely sure that it meets all your needs now and in the future. Also, pay close attention to the warranty. You don't want to spend money only to have a gym that you can't use a year from now.

[www.vigorfit.com]

Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: June 19, 2008 04:00AM

The floor and wall (yoga) and music (for dancing).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables